Banner Ad 1

Using "REAL" names or "Maskirovka" - I don't understand

Have an idea for the web site?

Postby TMSmalley » Sun May 11, 2003 9:28 am

As the board starts to re-populate with old and new members, I am curious as to why people choose something other than their real name for posting purposes?

I realize that you can track down the posters name fairly quickly, so it seems to me it is a false anoniminity. There are several names that are almost identical and I think a couple people are even using the same avatar. For me it makes it hard to figure out who is saying or asking what. Is this similar to CB radio "handles" of the 1970s? We like to dress up as someone else at the masquerade?

Can someone help me understand?

Tim Smalley
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tim Morris » Sun May 11, 2003 10:16 am

hi Tim-

my outlook is that it is like a personalized license plate--i dont think its any more complicated than that.

just for fun.

hope to see you at carmel ind next week..

thats if we fly as planned.
Best Regards,
Tim Morris
Tim Morris

Postby Britt Boyette » Sun May 11, 2003 11:38 pm

Sorry Tim, That's the best handle I was able to come up with. I'm just don't want people to figure out who's really flaming them.
Did I say that out loud? :cool:
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby Ramius-II » Mon May 12, 2003 3:21 pm

Hi Tim:
I think most people have forgotten how to really play like they did when they were young. As part of this, it seems imagination also has gone out the window. I doubt there is a single guy out there that hasn't at one time or another imagined what it would be like to be James Bond. Would you do it real life? Probably not. But for a short time you get the chance to escape from work hassels, bill paying, people a quart low on prune juice, etc. For me, my wife is Russian and I very much enjoy "The Hunt for Red October". Many of the lines in this movie are great and I use them.

I'm teaching my wife to drive (never said I was playing with a full deck) and somehow she need to plan ahead as to what lane to be in for her next turn. So I quoted the movie when I said " Remember Dear, Russian's don't take a dump without a plan". :)

When I finally finish my Typhoon sub I already have a Russian Captains hat and I will go to the lake and for a short time, escape reality and pretend I am on the sub I built and that I have the wisdom and knowledge and cool headedness of Sean Connery.

Ed Cannady :;):
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Tue May 13, 2003 7:47 am

I came up through the USCG enlisted ranks as a Damage Controlman, which was formerly know as Carpenters MAte. The nickname for the rate was "Chips". In my case it's a little quicker than typing my full name.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Tue May 13, 2003 9:42 am

All good comments. Of course we can have our names automatically included with each post in our "signature" without having to type it, but I get your points.

I still like knowing who I am talking to. But, to each his own; or as Pete Townsend of The Who once said, "From now on, you may call me Loretta."

:laugh:

Tim Smalley
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby 109-1045975219 » Tue May 13, 2003 7:14 pm

I agree with the comments above about being able to spend some time once in awhile take a step away from the day to day life. That is why I enjoy running the RC submarines so much, I find it relaxing, and it has nothing in common with what I do for a living. A little fantasy once in awhile doesn't hurt anyone I don't think. Giving yourself a nickname is no different, I think if we want the real name displayed it can go in the signature line that way you don't have to retype it.

Anyway I have to get back to commanding my type VIIC in the North Atlantic.
109-1045975219

Postby Robse » Fri May 16, 2003 7:27 am

Hi..

Just a few thoughts: No matter WHAT people state as their names, toy are NEVER sure, are U? Let's say for the sake of argument that my name 'Robert Holsting' is fabricated for the Committee, then waht? I can tell you that it IS my real name, and that 'Robse' is a nick I've had since ground school.

What I mean is that we jusdt have to go with the names / nics that people put here, there's no way of knowing if it's true anyway. Second, it doesn't matter to me if I know somebody as 'Captains Nightmare' or Jason from Arkansa, as long as hi's someone I can trust, and he behaves himself in here..

I have used chat on the internet for many yrs, and there everybody is known under their alias, except REAL close friends who's become a friend IRL. (In Real Life)

...just sharing my thoughts. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Ubootman » Thu May 22, 2003 7:44 pm

Tim,
Maybe we all don't have really cool sounding initials like T.S. Smalley... (although I think you borrow from the t.s. elliot guy...haha) So we have to rely on other cool names to keep up. I close my "handle" because I have a Type 23 (which you know), thus the "Uboot" and last time I checked I was a "man".

Just joshing around with you buddy!

Your fajita eatin pal,
S.E. Steckler

P.S. Don't call me "Essy".
Ubootman

Postby President » Sun May 25, 2003 9:54 am

I agree that handles are fine and I'll bet most of you use some sort of handle in your daily life. What I see as a happy medium would be for all to fill out the Personal Info section in your profile. This way you get your handle, but others can then know who's who. Unless I'm wrong the flaming wars are basically gone!

Jim Wheeler :D
Join the SubCommittee!
President
SubCommittee Officer

Return to Request a Feature