Banner Ad 1

A tale of the disappearing 7 foot Nautilus - Some 7 years ago in a far away land.....

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Sub culture » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:43 pm

This year marks an anniversary of sorts, although not one I'd care to celebrate.

When I first entered this hobby, some seven years ago or so, I placed an order for a set of 7 foot Disney Nautilus castings from a certain well known Nautilus modeller .

He seemed totally upfront and genuine, and very helpful.

I was assured that my castings would take a month to produce and possibly a fortnight to ship, six weeks in all!

Fine I said, paid my money, and waited..........and waited.......... and waited...........

That was back in July 1998, and I'm still waiting!

In the meantime, I received a few resin pieces, of so so quality (ridduled with air bubbles, but fixable) and a whole heap of excuses as to why my Nautilus wasn't ready.

The latest set of excuses tested my patience to breaking point, and I suggested that he sell 'my' nautilus' castings to some other sucker, and refund my money, as I was sick of waiting year after year.

No response.

So I suggested that if he was unable to refund my money, perhaps he would send me other goods to the value of what I originally ordered.

Again no response.

In the meantime I have acquired a set of 1/32nd scale castings, which are of very satisfactory quality, and am building these up.

Now I don't consider I'm being unreasonable here.

Other people have received their goods from this guy, and I can only consider he is taking advantage of the wide expanse of water between US and British shores.

Can anyone on this forum advise me as to any action I can take with this individual?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:37 pm

Don't be shy - name names.
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby btrippis » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:12 pm

Andy can you share your source of the 1/32 scale castings
that you are currently building? I have been waiting for
14 months for Total Immersion to send me there Nautilus
kit. I am hopeful it will arrive.
Regards, Brian
btrippis
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Fri Feb 18, 2005 11:42 am

Just like Dan
Last edited by Carcharadon on Mon Nov 20, 2006 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carcharadon

Postby Difinitiv » Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:16 am

Would those of you who have experienced, or are experiencing problems with delivery of a 7 foot Disney 20K Nautilus, please contact me......!!! Especially if the guy you're dealing with is in Florida. If the person you're referring to is not in Florida, then we're quite possibly talking about two different people.

Write to me privately at Difinitiv@yahoo.com if you chose.

You're not alone, and I'm personally ready to take a serious look into this guy's problem with taking $500.00 deposits and not produce any products. I personally take a hard line on FRAUD.

I don't intend to name names until I'm absolutely sure that we're talking about same person, and that we're on the same page with this whole situation.

The guy that has my $500.00, has had it for at least 8 years, so you're not alone. I've tried to be patient, but frankly, I'm tired of excuses, so-called computer crashes, a lack of updates, and yadda yadda yadda...... The list of excuses goes on and on........ It's time to deliver or refund the deposits.
Difinitiv

Postby ferdelance » Sat Feb 19, 2005 3:01 pm

I have had a positive experience with Federation Models. They were very responsive, the delivery only took 3 weeks, and the model was excellent! Very few blemishes in the cast (air bubbles etc.). Another plus is most of the smaller pieces (nose spur, cleats, propeller...) are made of white metal. More durable for R/C use!
The caveat is this model was made for display so the hull is cast in one piece; good in that the hull is straight (no problems with warped pieces not matching up) but I found it difficult to cut it in half. There was a very thick layer of resin inside the hull holding it together. The layer was so thick that my razor saw couldn't cut all the way through it! Once I figured out why the top and bottom halves wouldn't separate I was able to get another saw that could reach all the way inside to the extra resin.

I do have some pics but I will post them later. Once I figure out how to do it!!! For those interested, the website for it is: http://www.federationmodels.com/
Click model kits and then misc. models.

Ferdelance give this company two thumbs up... way up!
ferdelance

Postby Difinitiv » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:40 pm

Regarding the "7 Foot" version of the 20K Nautilus....... My recommendations to anyone who has sent this person deposits, or additional funds, are as follows:

First, contact him again with your all of your contact information (including your name address, and several phone numbers)....... Make sure that this person has all of "Your" contact information. Data that's been stored only on a computer can, has been lost in the past. This person is compiling a complete list and will have it as hard copy.

Secondly, make sure that YOU have a complete record of all your receipts, cancelled checks or money order receipts, as well as copies of any and all contact/correspondence with this person, and be able to provide him with copies from your end.

Third, ask this person for a clear indication as to what his intent is in terms of casting the 7 foot model, and where you stand in the order of receiving this item.

We need to make certain that he's "current" with all of our information, such as indicated above, contact information and funds that have been forwarded.

The whole point is to eliminate any "gaps" in all of this, and to keep this person, and ourselves straight.

For what it's worth, I am not "first in line"

Some of us tend to be a little eccentric, such as this person is (and I can include myself in that group) so I'm trying to be patient a little bit longer with this character, to see if first of all, he can produce and also re-establish his reputation.

I had a conversation with this person over this past weekend, and he assures me that he is just about ready to proceed with the casting. From what I was told, he just retrieved the molds, not the master. He needs to clean up the molds and proceed from there. I want to give him the benefit of the doubt at least this time.

FYI...... He contacted me directly. I did not call him. This person knows full well that not only his reputation is at stake...... and wants very much to make things right with everyone. Not very many people are willing to do that.

This person has also assured me that he will do better about updating people about progress. This person is not great at writing, but is one #### of a model builder...... So I want to give him the benefit of the doubt "AGAIN" and wait just a little bit longer for the highest quality model that I'm expecting. If after a little bit longer nothing comes of it, we'll deal with that matter at that time.

Personally, I'm looking for a "Win/Win" situation...... If I get my model, then I win, and so does this person who's going to cast it. IF not, well...... It speaks for itself and will be dealt with accordingly at that time...

Difinitiv
Difinitiv

Return to Television and Movie Submarines