Banner Ad 1

Torpedos - technical

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby Ramius » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:10 pm

Ok,lets talk about torpedos.
Who has working 1/96 and 1/72 torpedos?
I understand they are to be used with much care,and gennerally discouraged as an official position.
Having said all that as a disclaimer,who has em?
The scale is small and difficult.I have read about turning parts out on a lathe,etc.That is beyond my means.
Is there anyone out there willing to sell a setup,say built on Merriman's design or other?
If someone is willing,but does not feel comfortable posting it,please e-mail me.
This should start an interestng string of answers:)
Wayne
"A little revolution now and then is a good thing"
Ramius-Hunt for Red October
Ramius

Postby JWLaRue » Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:36 pm

Hi Wayne,

We ran an article on building the so-called Dory-style torpedoes in the Jne 2002 (SCR#49) issue.......

This article dealt with 1/32nd scale torpedoes, but the principles used are generally applicable to the smaller scales too.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius » Mon Apr 28, 2003 8:41 pm

I saw that article.Also in june 1997 issue #29 is a killer article about the hard-to-do 1/96 (1/72 too?) scale torpedo.The part that is beyond my means is little things like the launch device,casting a mold for the cone and tail section also.
I would like to see someone sell the components,with a disclaimer,of course.
Treated with respect,they would add a little more fun to the show.I do not know about other members,but I always get asked "can it shoot torpedos?".
There was another member working on some,but have not heard anything.
How bout it guys? Would like to see a lot of feedback on this.
Wayne
Ramius

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Mon Apr 28, 2003 10:36 pm

Ramius

Somewhere here I have the masters and the molds for both 1:96 and 1:72 scale Torpedo nose and tail section, they are made to have a piece of brass tube in the mid section. The fins are molded in the tail section with a spiral to them to help the torp go straight...well as straight as it wants to go.

I will have to take a look for these, I used to sell these at the shows that I exibited in. ???
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby Tom Spettel » Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:37 am

Ted and I made some nose/tailcone molds up in 1/32 and 1/48 in german and U.S. WWII torps. the fins and props were going to be laser cut by a company here in town (Denver) we planed on starting out in gas torps first then develop the electric later
we had some ideas on parts for the electrics
gear box- slot car gears
power source- caps? 1/48 battery for 1/32
motors- tryed pager motor not enought tourque for 1/48 looking at servo motors? was looking at motors from micro-mo motor company but the price
would give my torps a scale price!!
ouch!!!!
launch system- based on Dave M's really cool torp launch system he showed at the "99" regatta.
to sum it up the gas are the simplest
to make and are a big OOO-AAAHHH at the regattas. the electrics are a real
##### to get to work even in the larger scales and are slower than gas and more expensive to. this is were this
project has taken use so far, i havent been able to work on because of this thing that gets in the way called work
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby Ramius » Tue Apr 29, 2003 6:09 am

Tom,
Is the merrimen launch system shown in 99 diffrent than the one shown in the 97 article of the report?It was based on a tire valve stem with a rotory action to release.If it is diffrent,would love to see a schematic or picture.
Keep it simple seems to be the best as I get farther into this hobby.My alfa will be a runner only,but a later 1/96 I have in the works I definately would like to see with working teeth.
Again,anyone thinking of doing this needs to keep in mind much respect and caution should be used.I hear they are twitchy at best.And if abused could taint acceptance of the hobby as a whole.Still,the ooh and ahh factor is there.
Lee,(and everyone else),I would love to see pictures of complete,compontents,and launch devices posted(or e-mail me)
Lee,do you have a launch setup for the gas torpedos?
There seem to be many people interested in torpedos(look at the count already on views).Would you sell the components and maybe launch device?Or maybe the molds for the cone and tail section?
What does anyone else have working that relates to this?
Success and failures would be interesting.
Sounds like gas setup is just plain simpler to go in those scales.This is a good place to discuss for larger scale also guys.
Wayne
Ramius

Postby Britt Boyette » Tue Apr 29, 2003 9:38 pm

I wouldn't mind having some in 1/48 to shoot out of my USS Barbel.
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby ThierryC » Tue Apr 29, 2003 11:07 pm

Me too !
I gladly offer any help needed in designing or trying to get a design to work reliably !
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Tom Spettel » Thu May 01, 2003 12:31 am

Wayne I think you can find photos on the "99" photo gallery. as far as produceing the torps i will let you know when i start. work is taking up all my free time right now. Ted and i were going to test them out on his type VII first to see how the thing works. i will keep you posted. it is a cool project!! keep the ideas flowin!!
Tom
A list and a plunge and down she goes to Davy Jones.
Raiders of the Deep
Tom Spettel

Postby TMSmalley » Thu May 01, 2003 11:08 am

SC member Frank Riccucci has done some work with small scale torpedoes. At one time he was selling a kit with Clippards, Propel tank and torps - the whole nine yards.

Look him up in your SC membership directory He lives in New Jersey.

Tim Smalley
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Ramius » Thu May 01, 2003 9:40 pm

At one time I was in contact with Frank about the 1/96 torpedos,about a year ago.He was working on a system,but I never heard from him after last summer.Is there anyone out there,Lee Upshaw,anyone else willing to make kits in small scale(1/96-1/72) ,with launchers?
Look at the view count.People are interested!
Ramius

Postby Bob the Builder » Fri May 02, 2003 8:42 am

I found this link to a VERY micro-sized electric submarine. Overall length of the model is only 70mm with a 6mm diameter.

The author describes how you can simply remove the sail to covert it to a torpedo.

What size would a 1/96 torpedo be and is this close?

mini submarine
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mihelich » Fri May 02, 2003 12:16 pm

Hey Guys,

I have placed a 1/96 scale torpedo system in my Sturgeon sub. It uses the concept taken from the model warship boys.
It used a 1/4" brass tubing torpedo with a 1/4" ball bearing epoxied to one end. You just feed it into a 9/32 tube which is epoxied int the hull. Using a CO2 regulator from a BB cannon it feeds a nice blast of CO2 down the tube and fills the torp and expells it out. As it leaves the boat it leaves a bubble CO2 trail and is a little bouyent for a while before it runs out of steam and sinks. One shot one kill.

Tom
Mihelich

Postby Mihelich » Fri May 02, 2003 1:26 pm

http://www.southcoastbattlegroup.com/articles/articles_7.htm

Here is a nice link to some history of the torpedo system I refered to above.

Tom
Mihelich

Postby Ramius » Sun May 04, 2003 11:12 am

The micro-sub link is cool,but looks too slow for torpedos.
The combat setup of a tube and a BB is very clever.
Good ideas thrown out there are just what inquiring minds want to see.It has been roughly one week and this string has already had over 500 views.That's about 1/4 of the subcommittee! There is a definate interest in the small scale torpedo concept.Hope some vendors are watching.
I would still like to see someone come out with a "kit".
Maybe ,say,just a cone and stern section for a gas torpedo with a compatible launcher setup like the june 1997 subcommittee report descibed.It is simple,and the torpedos are recoverable.Resin casting is past what I can do,and probably most members.Some of the more experianced could cast a workable set.
Looks like a lot of people are interested.
Any takers?
Ramius

Return to R/C Modeler