Banner Ad 1

Oklahoma is Proud to be included in SubRon5

Local Chapter covering Texas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Kansas, and Nebraska.

Postby Scott T » Fri Feb 21, 2003 2:26 pm

First thanks for the new message board.

It feels good to be included in SubRon5.
Seems like every part of the world was included in the
Subcommitte except the Grand state of Oklahoma.

Some things you might want to know about Oklahoma before you make your next visit here is that we exhibit the WWII fleet
boat USS Batfish in Muskogee, Oklahoma. We also are not land locked we have the Port of Catoosa that ties us to shipping trade through a network of river locks.

I'm a RC sub captain currently in search of his first commision.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Feb 21, 2003 9:25 pm

Paul Crozier is, also, putting together a great new webpage for the SubRon 5 group. It has a great new message board.
ThorDesign

Postby PaulC » Sat Feb 22, 2003 11:18 pm

Matt,

This is great! I'll change the link on the SubRon5 page to point to this forum.

Paul
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:11 am

Paul,

I really like your avatar. It must be a sign of things to come...soon.
ThorDesign

Postby dietzer » Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:55 pm

Paul, your posting makes it sound like the SubRon5 webpage is ready, or nearly so. How's it going ?

BTW, is anyone in Texas interested in getting together in Austin around the end of March or beginning of April ?

I'd like to see us start having quarterly get-togethers in Texas, and maybe shift the meeting sites between Austin, Dallas, Houston, etc. I, for one, am willing to travel one Saturday every three months or so to meet with other submariners.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Feb 24, 2003 2:42 pm

Hi Carl,

I think that is a great idea! Is there anyway we could push our first meeting off until the end of April? I have selfish reasons, as I am going to be gone most of the first part of the month, and my New Topeka SSN 754 will be complete adn ready to chase any Russian attack in the water. I will bring a handful of kits along. I should have my own SSN21 from my new SSN21 kit release pretty much put together by then as well. :)
ThorDesign

Postby PaulC » Mon Feb 24, 2003 4:15 pm

Guys,

That sound slike a plan to me. I may even have Thresher, which I'm building from one of Matt's Permit kits, ready for a test run.

Carl, the site is an index page at the moment with a link to our board here. I thought I'd list the contact for each of us on a page. Has anyone talked to the the Denver guys lately? They have their own page don't they? And a fun run scheduled I think there in Denver.

I'd love to come over to Austin and get in the water. Did anyone check with Barton Springs about availabiliy?

Paul

PS Thanks for the words about the Wahoo battle flag avatar, Matt. Yes, it is intended to be indicative of things to come... :;):
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:40 pm

I think Wayne Frey and I are both willing to talk to the Austin Parks Dept. and find out about using Barton Springs. I know I am. And we both live in the Austin area.

I personally haven't been down to Barton Springs in 7 or 8 years, and really don't remember how big it is. I don't recall it being much bigger than a 25m swimming pool, though. Would probably be OK for fun runs, but I'm not sure it would do for a full-scale Regatta.

I know of another park in Round Rock (just north of Austin) that has a large pond, pavilon, rest rooms, and parking. Also has ducks, geese, and a playground for kids. It might work for fun-runs and regattas. Not sure how deep it is, though. I can try to contact the Round Rock Parks Dept. and find out...

BTW, I forgot to mention that one of the reasons I had for rotating meeting places was that it might be easier for those living in KS and OK to make meetings in Dallas than in Austin. And I know of one or two places in the Dallas area we could try and get permission to use that have a pond or small lake.

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Feb 24, 2003 5:59 pm

Carl,

I appreciate your efforts! I will go anywhere we have a fun run. Are we talking about having a fun run where we just get together, run our boats, have a brewski or 2 and just get to know each other or are we talking about a regatta with events and awards and all of that stuff. I, personally would prefer the ease of pace of a fun-run. Regattas are a LOT of work to plan and pull off. Fun-runs are just that. Just show up, flop your tailgate down, throw your boat in the water, and go have fun. Dallas will work great, but as I said I will go anywhere in Tx., OK., KS, or Co. I seriously doubt I will ever go to the East Coast Regatta again due to time and money constraints, but anywhere in the SubRon 5 area is an easy drive for me.
ThorDesign

Postby dietzer » Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:38 pm

Matt,

I think that we should only try one or two fun runs and some informal get-togethers, at least for this year. I think the CO group has their own regatta (this summer ?).

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby ThorDesign » Tue Feb 25, 2003 12:21 am

Carl,

We are in complete agreement. The Colorado Crew has their second annual Regatta towards the end of June of this coming summer. From what I heard from last years event, it was a very well coordinated event and the water and location could, possibly, be the best in the U.S. for running subs. I have not seen it myself, other than the pictures, so I cannot give you my opinion until I go in June. But, I am definitely going! If you would like to go, you can flop at my house as a midway point and we will make the trip together the next day. I think Paul Crozier is going to try and make it as well. :;):
ThorDesign

Postby dietzer » Tue Feb 25, 2003 9:36 am

Matt,

Thanks for the offer. Don't know if I'll take you up on it or not -- June's too far away for me to plan anything right now ! :)

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Return to SubRon5