Banner Ad 1

Trumpeter Seawolf Correction kit

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

Postby ThorDesign » Sun Jan 16, 2005 4:15 pm

I have been blown away by the number of emails we have recieved asking about the correction kit for the new trumpeter Seawolf model.

We will soon offer a correction kit for the boat.

It will include:
Correct propulsor with ringed impeller.
Correct Sail.
Corrected bowplanes & stern appendages with bearings.
impeller shaft with bearing set.
Correct bow.

I hope to have this all available by July.

We will also make haste in the completion of the micro r/c submarine combo-circuit which includes speed control, pitch control, & failsafe all in one tiny postage stamp sized circuit for this boat.

Thanks to everyone who has expressed interest!
ThorDesign

Postby Sub culture » Mon Jan 17, 2005 8:56 am

Sell cheap, sell plenty.

Those trumpeter kits sell well, 'cause they're a very cheap way to get a boat in the water.

There is something to be learned there I think.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Mon Jan 17, 2005 1:15 pm

Great news!!
Sounds like market adaptability is going to work Matt. Good to hear it will be you doing it. I know the quality will be good. Wish I did not have so many project to get in the water, this one sounds interesting.
Now that our venders are adapting to demand, it would be good to see support for our specialty vendors.
Look forward to seeing one in the water.
Wayne Frey
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Adam Leet » Mon Jan 17, 2005 5:17 pm

Excellent news. Will it be possible to purchase the correction accessories as separate units? Also, what will be the final price?
Adam Leet

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Jan 17, 2005 6:50 pm

The answer is no, it will all come as one set. You cannot make a dime in this business working that way. I know, I tried...It will come complete with no options.

The comment above about Sell cheap, sell plenty: You bet, the only way to go. Get paid next to nothing for lots of work! Not this guy, sorry. Been there, done that for too #### long. If it does not make the wage it does not get produced. Period. If you do not like what I am going to charge for it, don't buy it! I am not trying to be a jerk here, just honest. I spent years of my life trying to make money in this business and learned a very hard lesson in the process.

If you want an el-cheapo plastico vacuum formed foreign piece of crap, you get what you pay for.

The correction kit will cost more than the kit, I guarantee. It will be CNC machined, handcast and made in my shop, not injection molded in a factory where the workers make 25 cents an hour and are 100% government subsidized.
ThorDesign

Postby Turbobearcat » Mon Jan 17, 2005 7:38 pm

ThorDesign wrote:The answer is no, it will all come as one set. You cannot make a dime in this business working that way. I know, I tried...It will come complete with no options.

The comment above about Sell cheap, sell plenty: You bet, the only way to go. Get paid next to nothing for lots of work! Not this guy, sorry. Been there, done that for too #### long. If it does not make the wage it does not get produced. Period. If you do not like what I am going to charge for it, don't buy it! I am not trying to be a jerk here, just honest. I spent years of my life trying to make money in this business and learned a very hard lesson in the process.

If you want an el-cheapo plastico vacuum formed foreign piece of crap, you get what you pay for.

The correction kit will cost more than the kit, I guarantee. It will be CNC machined, handcast and made in my shop, not injection molded in a factory where the workers make 25 cents an hour and are 100% government subsidized.

:laugh:

Matt three snaps and a circle for you! (In Living Color)

The kit I will buy if my unit I'm working on turns out good, I'm sure my wife will agree on this, and the Electronics are a MUST for me but like a few others I am limited on how much I can spend, so I look for ways to engineer my way around.
However I also like to support the group as much as much as possible, someday I hope to be able to give back some knowledge I have learned. :-)

Mark
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby ThorDesign » Mon Jan 17, 2005 10:32 pm

Mark,

Thanks! I admire your pioneering efforts. I am watching with anticipation to see how all turns out. I would put my money on it working from what I have seen so far....
ThorDesign

Postby Turbobearcat » Mon Jan 17, 2005 11:22 pm

I wish I was that optimistic about things Matt, if sub were as easy as surface ships I would have no problems outside of running my batteries down when I'm too far away from shore!
But I need help and ideas to check with my own, My Uboat had one idea I used from U-812, a slightly more complicated idea than mine (steering) but it makes my stern lighter. :-)

When you get your combo board ready, please let me know
because it will free up space in my Uboat unless I shove my ESC in the wet, which really will free up some space for batteries. :laugh:

If I can get some time to take pictures of my Seawolf, you can see what I have done so far..

Things I do need right now:
WTC 2.5 or 3" OD?
endcaps!!!!!
(BTW--I need some to fit a 2"OD)
seals for the shaft and pushrods.
outside of that a working prop!( 1.25 inch)

If you can help me out let me know..

Mark
Turbobearcat

Postby Wayne Frey » Tue Jan 18, 2005 8:46 am

Turbocat,
Try asking Dave Welch. The wtc kit he has sounds like exactly what you need. I can say from the prototype "experimenter's" kit he sent me, that the endcaps are of excellent quality. This would work well for you.
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Turbobearcat » Tue Jan 18, 2005 5:01 pm

Thanks!

I'll shoot him an email soon...
Turbobearcat

Postby MIT » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:47 pm

ThorDesign wrote:The answer is no, it will all come as one set. You cannot make a dime in this business working that way. I know, I tried...It will come complete with no options.

I am always amazed at these get paid what you worth responses ! :D :D :D

Any status on the kit ?

Edited By MIT on 1121456892
MIT

Postby ThorDesign » Sat Jul 16, 2005 7:19 pm

Be amazed, Nick.

There will be no kit to improve the Trumpeter Seawolf. I had a couple positive responses wanting the kit and the majority told me they would not pay anymore than what they paid for the kit. So, I guess we will have to wait for the oh so skilled chinese to come out with a correction kit. Maybe their time is only worth $29.95, but I value my time much more highly than making $3.50/hr. So, no kit will be produced by this modeler.

Edited By ThorDesign on 1121648010
ThorDesign

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jul 17, 2005 8:57 pm

As I dive off ( a funny!) into different aspects of building, I think of the time involved and have to say I think a lot of our suppliers.
After casting this and modifying that, it amazes me the time involved and little return our vendors give. Other than the passion for the hobby, I would think none of them would be selling.
As for the Seawolf correction kit. I would not mind at all paying more for the upgrade than the kit itself. Think I am nuts? Try modifying one. Think about the time involved.
I do have a Seawolf kit in the closet for much, much later......
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:38 pm

While we are talking about the mods to this kit, who has done them?
And what, exactly, is not correct?
SCM #653
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Subcommander Killroy » Tue Jul 26, 2005 7:16 am

What will be the price for this correstion kit, and do you ship to denmark.
Subcommander Killroy

Next

Return to New Product Announcements