The United Kingdom Local Chapter

Postby Himszy » Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:02 pm

Hi,

Anyone know of any r/c shows this year?

Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:24 pm

You haven't said where you are based.

However there is the London Model Engineering Exhibition, taking place at Alexandra Palace on 21st-23rd January 2005.

There will be submarine there, as the AMS will be putting a stand up, many members of whom are also Sub Committee members.

Sandown Model Show, taking place at Sandown park race course, in Esher, Surrey sometime in May.

Wings and Wheels exhibition North Weald aerodrome, usually June/July time.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:54 pm

Birmingham, Wings and Wheels doesn't sound too submarine related.

Thanks Michael
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jan 08, 2005 8:33 am

Well, no, but then none of the shows are exactly submarine related because it's a very niche hobby.

For instance, the model engineering show will mostly be aimed at model trains, traction engines etc. For the past two or three years that the show has run there hasn't been a pool available. Perhaps that will change this year, now that has moved from Wembley to Alexandra Palace.

Sandown has a bit of everything, but concentrates on aircraft.

There are some smaller shows throughout the year. But if you get 10-15 boats turn up at each, then you're doing very well.

Andy

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:05 am

Andy, you a member of AMS?
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:59 am

I have been a member for about 8 years. But I have decided not to renew my membership this year.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Himszy » Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:03 pm

Worth joining?
Himszy

Postby Sub culture » Sun Jan 09, 2005 10:40 am

Himszy wrote:Worth joining?

Yes. Especially if you would like to attend shows with your boat.

You will get free entrance to all the main model shows, provided you are prepared to man the stand and/or display a sub.

It is a much smaller organisation than the Sub Committee- about a tenth of the membership.

The quarterly magazine 'In Depth' is sparse compared to the report, and the website is very dated.

However if you want to get out and meet and discuss with other model submariners in the UK, joining the AMS is a good way of doing so.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Davy » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:12 pm

It is still quite early in the year to give dates but Leamington is a good show with a pool. Tadley is also good (pool) Alfold, Surrey also - muddy pond! Norwich too I think. It depends where you are coming from in the UK. Less in the North of England - I've just moved to Cumbria!

AMS is worth joining for Newsletter (In Depth), show dates etc and complements the SubComittee well.

Sorry I don't know of a supplier for solenoid valves - I use electric pumps. I seem to remember servo operated Schrader (tyre) valves being discussed in "In Depth" - may give you some ideas.

David

My Webpage
Davy

Return to SubCommittee GB