As Brian mentioned, gather up as much research material as you can. Albacore was my first boat. What I did to detail her was trace the deck details (from the drawing supplied with the kit) onto mylar, cut them out, then transfer to the model with ink. Once done, I scribed the ink lines. I also drilled out all (yes, all) of the limber holes on the sides, then cleaned them up with a square file. I did the same with the flood holes.
Paint-wise, Albacore never had anti-foul red. Just plain old black. I used Krylon for the base hull coat, then applied orange on the marker bouys (helps to spot her when she is underwater) and a grey color on the sail mounted sonar. Pretty much an as-launched paint-scheme. I also scratch-built some 'scopes using streamline tube and regular hypo-tube.
If you want to learn more, I would stongly suggest calling David Merriman and ordering his detailing video set. I did this before I painted my Seawolf, and it was *very* helpful...