Banner Ad 1

12v speed control ?

R/C Submarine modelers

Postby ThierryC » Tue Apr 22, 2003 12:00 pm

What choice is there for 12V electronic speed control ? So far I have only used 6V systems and was very happy with the cheap and resiliant Traxxas XL1, but for my new boat I might go to 12V, and so far the only ESC that I found that can handle 12V is the Super Rooster at $150, knowing that I need 2 of them, the wife is never going to allow that, what else could I use ?
There are 10 kind of people, those who undertand binary and those who don't !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Robse » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:04 pm

Hi ThierryC

I have chosen to use a Graupner "Navy V40R" as the 12V regulator AND power supply to my receiver as well. (It has BEC) The regulator is watertight, is reversable, wide voltage range, and can handle quite alot.
Please see this link for detailes and tech. data:

http://hjem.get2net.dk/robse/SSBN/EngiServ.htm

and scroll down to "Regulator" I can mail U a picture if you'd like...
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby ThierryC » Tue Apr 22, 2003 1:23 pm

Thanks
any idea where could I order one online ?
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:25 pm

Thierry,

I use both the SubTech and the OTW speed controllers with 12 volt batteries. Both work fine. I believe that the ThorDesign ESC is also capable of supporting 12 volts too.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThierryC » Tue Apr 22, 2003 11:46 pm

Thanks for the info, the SubTech and the Thor ESC are only rated 10Amps, isn't this a bit small ? I am used to the 75Amps of the XL-1, and knowing that my boat is big and heavy, I wouldn't want to blow an ESC nor a fuse every 5 mins. How well can they handle power ?
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Ramius-II » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:20 am

Hi Thierry:
Al at Ships N' Things also has 12 volt speed controls. Keep in mind that when you go from 6 volts to 12 volts you are only using 1/2 the current (amps) for the same power. Basically power is volts times amps. So 6 volts at 10 amps is 60 watts. 12 volts times 5 amps is also 60 watts. Also wire size can be smaller! :) Typically the 75 amp controllers are used in model cars with brushless motor with specifications like 14-T (14 turns of wire). My Typhoon was modified to operate with a 12 volt battery, that is 12 volt motors, relay mods, etc. The only thing that remained at 6 volts was the receiver.

Ed :)
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:21 am

vantec makes 12 volt speed controllers for a much more reasonable price.

i have two of these, and they have been working fine for several years:

http://www.harbormodels.com/SpeedControls.html

I am using them in a Dumas Mr. Darby (60lbs), with 30amp 12 volt gel cells running 2 Dumas 12v pittman motors (monster motors that pull about 12 amps continous).

not listed on that web page, but they also make a cheaper version that is rated for 6 volts.

I would recommend them in a heartbeat.

tim
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThierryC » Wed Apr 23, 2003 12:55 am

Duh ! I completely forgot that when doubling the voltage the current is divided by 2 to keep the same wattage V X I = W
I guess that's what happens when posting at 11:30 pm instead of going to bed !
Thanks for all the info guys !
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Postby Robse » Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:40 am

Hi again, ThierryC
Reply to "Thanks any idea where could I order one online ?"

I ordered mine from a Danish retailer called
http://www.hobby-world.dk
It's a $88 set-back, but well worth it. The shop deals on-line with credit-cards, just drop him a mail asking for the regulator. He orders from Graupner every 3 weeks, and then sends it out once it's prepaid. He's eMail is hobbyworld@hobby-world.dk and the regulator is called "Graupner Navy V40R, no. 2875" You might wanna try a 'local' Graupner dealer to save some of the shipping?
Hope some of this helps. :)
Yours Sincerely, Robert Holsting, Denmark
1/81 SSBN Ohio Class scratch builder, more at www.robse.dk

"Never be afraid to try something new; remember that it was amateurs who build Noah's Ark, and professionals who build the Titanic"
Robse

Postby Ramius-II » Thu Apr 24, 2003 3:08 pm

Hi Thierry:
Save yourself a lot of grief. If you go to http://www.mackproductsrc.com/index.htm, you can get some really great motors. When you look inside a motor at the windings like the motors that came with the Typhoon, notice how the windings are "scramble" wound. ??? If you look at the mack motors, the windings are neatly placed next to each other. When you cross a winding, you negate it's effect. Torque wise, I can not stall the mack motors at any speed with my fingers. If you are converting your Typhoon to 12 volts, let me know. I've already done this. Back to PIC programming 101. :(

Ed
Just one more wire!
SC# 2268
WB6NSN
Ramius-II
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:32 pm

Go here-

http://www.modelcontrollers.co.uk

0-26 volt voltage range.

Superb controllers, even better prices! :)

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby 65-1050534571 » Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:47 am

Hi Thiery,

In my opinion, LRP-electronic in Germany produces some of the best ESC´s around. They are mostly into RC-car racing, and for my Patrick Henry running at 6 Volts, I use an F1 Reverse Digital that can handle up to 30 Amps. continuesly.

For 12 Volt users, LRP actually has a specially for boats designed Marine Reverse 12 Volt. It can give up to 35 Amps continously, and has a 5 Volt BEC that can handle up to 4 servos.

http://www.lrp-electronic.de/e/main_frameset_e.htm

Are you planning to convert your Typhoon to 12 Volt?

Regards
Anders
65-1050534571

Postby ThierryC » Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:29 am

Thanks for all the information guys ! I am not planning to convert the Typhoon to 12V as I am pretty happy with the way it is running now in 6V but I am building a new boat, japanese B1 class 1-35 and this one will run on 12V
Sub-Systems
ThierryC

Return to R/C Modeler