Banner Ad 1

San Francisco Submarine Regatta.Show of Hands - Who is coming and what are you bringing

Know of an upcoming modeling event?

Postby D Manley » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:47 am

Despite this not really being a regatta as I have come to know them; I had a great time in this great city with great people!
The location was beautiful as usual and the folks who were there made it worth the 500 mile drive to get there and I will do it again next year!
I did miss many of you who I have enjoyed talking to at previous events and I know I will see more of you next year!
Whether it is two events or one combined event, you can’t go wrong with a trip to San Francisco!

Dave

P.S. lay off the California stuff PLEASE!!
:p
D Manley

Postby anderboat » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:38 pm

Last January in my converesations with the SFMYC power squadron commander I was told that the SFMYC was going to put their efforts into their biannual event the "Wooden Boats on Parade", they would not have the Military Ship Regatta on their power squadron schedule of events for 2004. The SFMYC was the surface half of this regatta for the past three years.
If you want more detailed information from my notes, email me.
Tom Anderson
anderboat@aol.com
anderboat
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:16 pm

Seaphoto (Kurt) said:
>>> a lot of the people who called for an all sub regatta didn't bother showing up to this event, including the SC leadership.

Dolphin (Steve) said:
>>> I have advocated more traveling by SC club officers to SC sanctioned events 'to the far off reaches of the empire' to enlighten and help to appreciate the different regions and their issues by those officers.

Folks,

The last time I checked, the SubCommittee does not cover expenses for the officers to fly around the country to attend events....SubRegattas or otherwise.

To imply an obligation of the SC officers to attend events where-ever they are is way out of line.

-Jeff (if you want my job, just ask for it!)
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Thu Oct 14, 2004 3:19 pm

Well Guys

After doing some further investigation into this matter, it really does appear that the SFMYC is the party that dropped the Surface Portion of this regatta, granted that they really did not have much to do with it to begin with out side of a few people in that club, and the biggest pusher of this moved away at the biginning of the year.

The main point is, this event is now behind us, and it is time to look forward to next years event, weather it will be an all submarine event or nbe a full Military Ship and sub regatta is being worked on.

You guy out there want a West Coast event, well you have to do more then just say what you want, YOU HAVE TO GET INVOLVED.
My Vote is for it to go back to being a Military Ship Regatta and that the Subcommittee is involved.

Lets all play together and further the hobby as a whole.
I have been in the hobby for 36 years and in the business for over 25 years now, I can see the trends of where this hobby is going...it is not good boys and girls.

Tom, I know that you have worked hard to further the Model Submarine hobby in the Bay Area and have dedicated a lot of your own resources to further this goal, none of my Post or this thread were ment to cast a shadow on you or your efforts. This thread was ment get people interested in going to the regatta, by seeing what other people were bringing.
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby Nelix6030 » Tue Oct 26, 2004 5:27 pm

Tom,

I am new to this hobby and I am doing the finishing touches on my first sub ( which had its first successful run at the local lake last Saturday). I have yet to attend a subcommittee event, but I am ready to get fully involved. I live in the Bay Area and I can donate time for any help you need with setting up events.

Let me know how I can help.

Kyle Mobley
Nelix6030

Previous

Return to Upcoming Events and SubRegattas