Banner Ad 1

How is the Sir Frankie Crisp doing?

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Scott T » Sun Apr 06, 2003 12:08 am

I was very interested in the article in the SCReport #50 on the Sir Frankie Crisp? What subregatta do I need to attend to see this submarine?

I've been much inspired by some artwork of a Capitan Nemo's Nautilus, to build.
Dave Warren's Nautilus
But I have not been able to locate any "get to it", to get me started on my project.
But don't worry I still enjoy the hobby of submarines.

Are there any more freelance subs out there being built or dreamed about?
What are all you computer keyboard submariners (same as armchair quarterbacks) thinking of building? ???
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bob the Builder » Sun Apr 06, 2003 10:06 am

I don't really classify myself as a "computer keyboard submariner", but during the course of my construction of my Nautilus, I've also thrown around the idea of a full RC version of the ABC Nautilus. It would be pretty complicated, but I think I've got the rough details worked out.

It'd probably handle like a tank and dive like a brick, but it sure looks cool :cool:

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Tue Apr 08, 2003 6:12 am

Well, I don't do R/C subs, but I do build scale subs of a sort, so maybe this relates.

Besides the NAUTILUS MINISUB in the shop downstairs getting an overhaul, I've got two more basic streamlined hulls. One was going to be the U.S. NAVY X-1, and the other is earmarked for a design of my own called HYPERSUB, which uses an AIP drive for high performance underwater.

Right now the question is: what do I make the HYPERSUB look like? It's always looked sort of like a jet plane. I was toying with the idea of making a fast NAUTILUS, but I've already got a Nemoboat. I thought about the Goff prototype, and Dave's NAUTILUS, too; but they are all kinda similar.

Then Will Babington gave me some pictures of a little "battle boat" called the SPECTER sub from SEAQUEST DSV, which looks like across between a minisub and an attack helecopter. I'm kind of leaning in that direction now; would give the HYPERSUB an even balance of show and go.

The SPECTER would also make a wicked looking R/C sub. I can't recall ever seeing one before. Another boat that would look good in R/C is Graham Hawkes' DEEP FLIGHT AVIATOR.

Just some thoughts...

Pat
Captain Nemo

Postby Scott T » Tue Apr 08, 2003 12:59 pm

You mentioned the shape for your hyper sub which touches on the reason why I like the Warren nautilus. It has a squid look to it, in the picture of it, in dry dock. The window resembles an eye, the ram and rub rails remind me of the protrusion on the top of a squid.
Maybe?
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines