Banner Ad 1

A couple of videos for those interested..

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:04 pm

Here are a couple of recent videos that I've shot at Langford. The first is kind of neat... my Nautilus performing an 'emergency blow'. She's pretty heavy, so all I've managed thus far is to get the wheelhouse out of the water before she levels out.

The second is my favorite... the Nautilus emerging from her secret entrance to Vulcania. Note the harsh exit, as she was forced to flee during low tide by a fleet of approaching British warships and ran aground...

Nautilus Emergency Blow (approx 4.5mb - .avi file)

Nautilus Escape (approx. 11mb - Quicktime Movie)
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rcher » Mon Aug 23, 2004 4:04 pm

The second movie was a great movie Bob! Looked pretty real!
Rcher

Postby Captain Nemo » Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:19 am

Looks great! Really nice, Bob.

I'm sorry if anyone thinks this sounds biased, but the NAUTILUS is just the boldest, most impressive, and most captivating submarine design of all time. Bar none.

Goff didn't like Walt's idea of a simpler "cigar tube" design. He felt "Once you've seen it, you've seen it". Apparently, Goff felt "the tube" wouldn't hold the audiences attention or leave much to their imagination.

What he came up with as an alternative is incredibly interesting and uniquely imaginative. Standing still or moving, it holds your eye. There is so much to see there. It's beautiful in its own special way. There's really nothing else quite like it; and nothing else really compares.

Oh yeah, I've got it bad for the NAUTILUS. :D

Pat
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:05 am

Captain Nemo wrote:Oh yeah, I've got it bad for the NAUTILUS.

Pat, whoa, down boy. To quote a famous aficionado, pure“ Optical Opium".

Bob, great video, can you get it to breach under speed underwater. I've been able to do that but never get it on video. Give it a try if you can.
Carcharadon

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:43 am

Carcharadon wrote:Bob, great video, can you get it to breach under speed underwater. I've been able to do that but never get it on video. Give it a try if you can.

Tom,

What do you mean "breach under speed underwater"?

I've got my Nautilus torn apart right now while I add some more lights and give it a new paint job, but after that, Greg Sharpe and I have plans for a run at Cameron Lake in mid-September. He's bringing his SCUBA gear and a waterproof camera along with his Beluga and watertight transmitter...

I've got a brand, spankin' new DV camcorder on order and it should be here this week. I'll be shooting lots of video and playing with the editting software on my 'puter later on.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Aug 24, 2004 12:57 pm

Nice video's. How about posting one at full speed though Bob?

I've noticed this before, so I have to mention it- your nautilus looks a little high in the water to my eyes. Any reason for that?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Carcharadon » Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:30 pm

Bob the Builder wrote:What do you mean "breach under speed underwater"?

Bob, you're at about 6 -- 8 ft. depth, you're at full speed, your trim is level, you travel for about 15-20 ft. and then at
about a 45 degree angle head towards the surface, breaching at full speed and then after continue on the surface without
slowing down.

I could never tell exactly where the sub was coming up to video tape.

Tom
Carcharadon

Postby Bob the Builder » Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:15 pm

Sub culture wrote:Nice video's. How about posting one at full speed though Bob?

I've noticed this before, so I have to mention it- your nautilus looks a little high in the water to my eyes. Any reason for that?

Andy

Andy,

I'll make sure to take some video of her at "ramming speed" for you (maybe I'll attach a tow line and haul her through the water!).

I've got her set up so that I've got some extra reserve in my floatation to bring the model up a little higher if I need to. The Nautilus' scale waterline is pretty low, and I felt it was a waste to hide all that detail under the water anyway. A quick flick on the ballast controls brings her down to scale waterline after about a second or so.

Carcharadon,

My Nautilus is pretty statically stable. She hates going off-level, and when I initiate a rise on the planes, even at full throttle, the best I can usually get is about a twenty degree angle upwards. That pushes her out with enough juice to pull the forward upper hull out of the water, but not much more.

I'll shoot some video of that, too.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines