Banner Ad 1

Good Morning, Vietnam Redux - Why all the censorship?

Have an idea for the web site?

Postby Downscope » Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:17 pm

I am curious as to why all the built-in censorship. Surely, we are big enough boys and girls that the word h-e-l-l is not going to send us running in terror to our closets? I can see some limits (there are certain obvious choices, most clearly enumerated by George Carlin), but treating us as little children is not my idea of freedom. And, in the same vein, who is the censor for the board, and obviously, for the SubCommittee? Is it an elected or appointed position? Is it a term limit position or a quasi-Taliban like lifetime post? And, does the censorship apply only to words or are our subjects and topics also under the approval process of some god-like figure? Or will even this inquiry be censored?
Any storm in a port.
Downscope

Postby VicePresident » Wed Apr 02, 2003 10:59 pm

Hello Kevin,

As a member of the SubCommittee who has been around long enough to witness the various flamewars that have occasionally flared up on this site...and I assume have also recognized the damage that they have caused....I must admit that I am surprised at this question.

Prior to our moving to this new forum software there was a fair amount of discussion around the relative merits of providing a finer granularity of moderation for these SC forums. As part of the announcement for these new forums, we also reiterated the reasons why. I will also note that there has been overwhelming support for our move to this new forum and the type of moderation that we are doing.

As to your assertion that "we are big enough boys and girls", this has continued to be proven to be a false statement as a minority seem unable to hold polite conversations.

As to your question of who is moderating these forums, I will simply refer you to the list of moderators that everyone can see under the title of each forum.

-Jeff
VicePresident
SubCommittee Officer

Postby Downscope » Wed Apr 02, 2003 11:20 pm

Jeff, I well know the flamewars and it's good those are gone. But I was referring to the word for a flaming netherworld location which can hardly be considered censorable. That, to me, at any rate, seems to be going a bit far.
Any storm in a port.
Downscope

Postby President » Thu Apr 03, 2003 10:14 pm

Kevin....It wasn't Gods or Super Humans...just mere mortals that selected and added words that we thought might offend or would be inappropriate. If you or anyone else needs to use those words to convey your thoughts you need to take some writing classes. As for moderating posts if the post is off topic or offensive it will go. Again the EC will discuss the offending post and make what we feel is the best decision for the organization and its goals. I know I’ve said this more than once, “We use the website for one of our recruiting efforts.” and if we act offensively we defeat its purpose.

Since you asked about how you could be one of the EC (aka Quasi - Taliban), all you need to do is to begin to step up and volunteer to run this organization. Both Jeff and I will be ineligible to run again, which will leave the field wide open. Then you can spend your free time growing our organization instead of questioning the obvious. If I come across a bit short or biting don't take it personal, but I believe what you see here and how it's moderated is what the majority of the members want.

Respectfully,
Jim Wheeler
Join the SubCommittee!
President
SubCommittee Officer

Return to Request a Feature