Banner Ad 1

LED Upgrades successful! - It wasn't THAT hard....

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:16 pm

Successful sea trials of my newly upgraded Nautilus took place last Saturday at nearby Langford Lake.

The new lighting system consists of 28 separate LED lights.

White LEDs for the large floodlights are putting out around 10000mcd. Yellow are at around 4000mcd, as are the two red in the wheelhouse.

I've got a whole bunch of pics on the newly created Nautilus Photo Gallery page of my website for anyone interested. There is also a short .avi of my Nautilus statically submerging in five feet of water if you're interested.

In the meantime, a couple of shots to whet your appetite:

Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Mon Aug 02, 2004 3:49 pm

The white LED's look really good, although I not sure about the mix with the yellow LED's, think I'd prefer white all the way through

I like the red lights for the wheelhouse, would be very neat to switch that to white via R/C for normal running.

Anyway, that should bring an end to changing out lamps! :)

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rcher » Mon Aug 02, 2004 5:07 pm

That looks great Bob!! It makes the Nautilus look alive!
Rcher

Postby Lundberg » Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:05 am

Hi, your Nautilus looks great Bob!

By the way, I've now finished the rear diveplane modification on my own Ray Mason hulled Nautilus. I followed your example in order to get better manouverability. Thank's for the inspiration...

Pictures will be posted later this fall, I will take some new shots both of my Nautilus and my U-47.

However, most of my spare time now goes to some upgrade and maintenance of the family house, the subs will have to stand back a few weeks I'm afraid.

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Postby Bob the Builder » Thu Aug 05, 2004 10:38 am

Bjorn,

Have you taken the Nautilus out to try out the modifications yet? If so, what did you think?
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rcher » Thu Aug 05, 2004 3:51 pm

So Bob, How did you wire up your LEDS?
Rcher

Postby Lundberg » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:25 pm

Bob,

sorry, havent been able to test the new setup yet, I've been busy being "tim-the-toolman" in our family house. Coming up next is finishing up a floor and then installing a fireplace.

After that I hope there will be some seatrials with the new setup, I'll let you know how it works...

/Bjorn
Lundberg

Postby Bob the Builder » Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:16 am

Rcher wrote:So Bob, How did you wire up your LEDS?

I went for simplicity. I found the proper resistor value using a calculator that I found online. I think Andy posted a few different sites in another thread here recently, so finding an online calculator should be pretty easy if you need one.

Each of my LEDs has it's own resistor. I didn't get fancy and go for any parallel or series hookups. Once the resistor is in place, they wire up just like an incandescent, one end to + and one to -. The only difference between the LEDs and the incan's are that you need to watch that your positive leads are connected properly.
Bob Martin,
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Return to Television and Movie Submarines