Banner Ad 1

USS Virginia gets clean sweep in sea trials

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Dolphin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:16 am

"plus a new feature that we have discovered was missing from our propulsor that does not decrease turning radius, but has dramatically increased the overall thrust reaction, which when pulsed in combination with the hard over rudder really has cut the turn radius down."

Matt, can you elaborate please what new feature you have added (refering above)that will dramaticly reduce turning radius?

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:26 am

Another cool shot...
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Fri Aug 06, 2004 1:03 pm

Steve,

No. There is another vendor working on the same model so I am not going to help by posting and giving all of our hardwork away.
ThorDesign

Postby Novagator » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:12 pm

ThorDesign wrote:Steve,

No. There is another vendor working on the same model so I am not going to help by posting and giving all of our hardwork away.

When will your/atomicsubs VA class go on sale?
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Fri Aug 06, 2004 9:54 pm

Hi Matt,

I understand the product security angle completely. Can you send me a message via private email? I am designing and testing a 1/64 scale Virginia Pump jet. I just don't wish to re-invent anything or go down a certain engineering path, if your way is better (which is very likely). Just reply to the email I sent you several days ago.

Thanks!

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby ThorDesign » Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:28 am

Steve,

Sure, no problem!

One item of discovery I will share about the SSN21 kit and SSN774 kit is that they are EXTREMELY sensitive to ballast tank placement AND battery placement. My SSN21 had a WTC 3.5 in it with a 5 amp-hour lead acid battery in the bow. I took the WTC 3.5 out and replaced it with one of Dave's new WTC 3.00" and moved the entire system forward about 3". What a difference! It cut my turning radius almost by more than 30%. I surmise that the issue is the mass moment of inertia of the battery requires more energy to spin it around. It can be modeled as putting a 400 lb man on the very outside edge of a merry-go-round. It takes a LOT more energy to spin him around out there versus the energy required as he moves closer to the center of the merry-go-round, which is the center of rotation. What I have now is a 3000 MaH NiMH battery in the forward compartment of the WTC 3.00 which has almost the same mass as it's 1500 MaH NiCad counterpart, but I get more twice the runtime. I now have the forward bulkhead of the ballast tank 3/4" forward of the trailing edge of the sail.

I hope this helps current SSN21 owners and future SSN774 owners.

John, the kit will be released through AtomicSubs when it is done. I have no set date for completion and have stopped estimating completion dates. My life is too crazy to give any sort of completion dates on this stuff anymore. When it is done, it is done. The prototype is well into water testing though and is on her third propulsor design...
ThorDesign

Postby Dolphin » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:30 pm

Thanks Matt for everything!

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby PaulC » Sat Aug 07, 2004 4:08 pm

What's up with the frigate avatars for all love?
:^)
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Sat Aug 07, 2004 6:57 pm

I saw Matts so....USS Constitution for me...I don't know....It seemed the lesser of two weevils at the time...

Steve

Edited By Dolphin on 1091920130
Dolphin

Postby steve_of_ar » Wed Aug 18, 2004 5:39 pm

ThorDesign wrote:My SSN21 had a WTC 3.5 in it with a 5 amp-hour lead acid battery in the bow. I took the WTC 3.5 out and replaced it with one of Dave's new WTC 3.00" and moved the entire system forward about 3".

So if I understand, the WTC 3.0 is now recommended for the Thor ssn21? How does the speed compare between using the WTC 3.0 vs the WTC 3.5, does it slow it down much going down to the smaller 7V motor?
steve_of_ar

Previous

Return to Subs in the News