Banner Ad 1

USS Virginia gets clean sweep in sea trials

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Novagator » Mon Aug 02, 2004 9:22 pm

http://209.157.64.200/focus/f-news/1182085/posts

:cool:
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:46 am

Pictures!

Virginia's Alfa trials.....
http://www.news.navy.mil/view_featured.asp Type in search window 'ssn'.

Pretty sub! Her proportions in the water remind me of a Sturgeon 637 boat.....:)

Steve Reichmuth
Dolphin

Postby Dolphin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 12:49 am

Close up of Virginia's Optronic mast head......the shape of things to come.....

SteveImage

Edited By Dolphin on 1091508636
Dolphin

Postby Novagator » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:26 am

What is the huge bump that runs down the starboard side of the sub for?
John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby mike byers » Tue Aug 03, 2004 1:40 pm

Towed Array housing
De Profundus

Mike Byers
SC# 2486
mike byers
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jim Kerswell » Tue Aug 03, 2004 5:50 pm

Now I can see all the errors I've made on my Virginia model in painting the masts and adding the draft markings

For one of our latest subs, there sure are a lot of ugly excresences along the port flank. I hope they are just there for the "alpha" trials. Notice the broom aft of the bridge, indicating that all the trials were perfromed successfully.

One question: What are the six cleat-like items along the centerline aft of the sail? I've noticed them on the Seawolf boats. For some reason they don't appear to be retractable.

JK
Jim Kerswell
SubCommittee Member

Postby 98-1071702866 » Tue Aug 03, 2004 6:26 pm

They are cleats. they are also on 688's. And they are not retractable. If I understand excresences correctly then they would be the areas that don't seem smooth, if I got that wrong just attribute it to I'm just a dumb mechanic. If you look close enough it appears that not all of the hull treatment is installed. The arrows you see on the starboard side (they are also on the port side) indicate to the tugs not to push the boat in those areas. There are test instruments located in these areas and in some cases as in unfinished hull treatment damage to the boat (ie..hull valve strainer plate) could occur.
BSF
98-1071702866

Postby expfcwintergreen » Tue Aug 03, 2004 9:15 pm

For more on the photonics mast:

Kollmorgen

Chris

Edited By expfcwintergreen on 1091582208
expfcwintergreen

Postby Dolphin » Tue Aug 03, 2004 11:05 pm

The ugly excresences will blend in smooth when the antiechoic coverings are added. Like Seawolf, these are more rubber slabs or sheets tuned to the area they are applied to. No more tiles....phew!

Steve
Dolphin

Postby Seawolf » Wed Aug 04, 2004 3:05 am

another question :D
what is the object (rectangular shape) at the mid of port side ?
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby Jim Kerswell » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:46 am

Thank you, BSF, for the explanation.

JK
Jim Kerswell
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Wed Aug 04, 2004 12:04 pm

Just as a note of interest:

Atomic subs is moving forward with the release of the 1/96th Virginia. Some small modifications have been made to the appendages to improve handling.
ThorDesign

Postby Novagator » Wed Aug 04, 2004 1:06 pm

ThorDesign wrote:Just as a note of interest:

Atomic subs is moving forward with the release of the 1/96th Virginia. Some small modifications have been made to the appendages to improve handling.

What is wrong with the original appendages that make it such a horrible handler?
John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby ThorDesign » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:37 pm

John,

As with the newest release of our SSN21 model we had to enlarge the horizonal stabilizer and stern plane/tip plane surface area by 10% to get it to handle properly. Remember the real boat is literally flown by computer and the scale boat at slow speeds does not have the surface area necessary due to the rules of similitude. The rudder on SSN774, as well as the horizontal stabilizer/Stern plane area was increased by about 12% and the overall length of the propulsor shroud has been reduced by 10%, plus a new feature that we have discovered was missing from our propulsor that does not decrease turning radius, but has dramatically increased the overall thrust reaction, which when pulsed in combination with the hard over rudder really has cut the turn radius down. I have my SSN21 turning a radius of about 7 feet and Virginia is slightly less with the new mods.
ThorDesign

Postby Novagator » Thu Aug 05, 2004 8:00 am

ThorDesign wrote:John,

As with the newest release of our SSN21 model we had to enlarge the horizonal stabilizer and stern plane/tip plane surface area by 10% to get it to handle properly. Remember the real boat is literally flown by computer and the scale boat at slow speeds does not have the surface area necessary due to the rules of similitude. The rudder on SSN774, as well as the horizontal stabilizer/Stern plane area was increased by about 12% and the overall length of the propulsor shroud has been reduced by 10%, plus a new feature that we have discovered was missing from our propulsor that does not decrease turning radius, but has dramatically increased the overall thrust reaction, which when pulsed in combination with the hard over rudder really has cut the turn radius down. I have my SSN21 turning a radius of about 7 feet and Virginia is slightly less with the new mods.

Thanks Matt! I can't wait to see pics of your new Virginia class.
John Cottingham
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Subs in the News