Banner Ad 1

Combat Models submarines - Conversion to R/C

Place for general submarine conversation

Postby crazyd96744 » Tue Apr 01, 2003 10:47 pm

I have seen a growing number of these for sale up on ebay and was wondering:
1. Has anyone converted on to R/C
2. Vac u form hull seems kinda weak so how would you stregthen
3. 1/72 scale so does anyone make detail parts for them if on choses to creat a nice static display

Thanks
darren
"todays fart is tomorrows fresh air"
crazyd96744

Postby 87-1046108477 » Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:51 am

In one word....

YUCK! Ok, so folks like Matt Thor has spoiled me rotten. From what I could see you are getting 2 clean slick, thin vacume formed sheets. One U-Boat was two sheets, each with fore and aft hull half, and conning tower half. I think there was one more half part on each of the two sheets. THe one good thing I can say is that these things are a scribers dream come true.

Not for the faint hearted like the newbee I am :( . Feel the power of Thor :D !
87-1046108477

Postby Britt Boyette » Wed Apr 02, 2003 2:28 am

Combat models are not the best for scale and the are PIA's for putting together. It's not because of the vacuforming, it's just their poor design. I would suggest looking elsewhere for your 1/72 modeling quest. Yes, there are some 1/72 items out there. I would contact Lee at ScaleShipyard and ask him what is available. He has a good supply of hulls and hardware in your scale.
Britt Boyette

Break Like The Wind Racing
Britt Boyette

Postby 109-1045975219 » Thu Apr 03, 2003 8:00 pm

I purchased a Combat Models Type VIIc in 1/72 scale for the purpose of radio controlling. (first mistake at it was also my first crack at building an r/c sub) As was said earlier it is not for the beginner modeller and certainly not straightforward to r/c. I ended up glueing the hull pieces together with plugs where needed to arrive at the scale size and shape, then made my own fiberglass hull from the original plastic hull. I tossed the deck and conning tower in my scrap plastic bin and scratchbuilt them instead. I ended up using the compass bulge on the front of the tower on my scratchbuilt tower as it was the only thing about the right size and shape. I designed and built my own WTC and have had the boat running. It works quite well, miniaturization is required to fit everything in. I enjoy the size because I run it with a Matchbox corvette I built to r/c some years ago also in 1/72 scale. If you want to see completed pictures e-mail me and I can send you some. I am not sure it was worth the cost but I ended up with the model I wanted to so I guess it was.

Mike Godding :cool:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/68554398/68554579rLVfFO

Edited By mike42rc on 1049471345
109-1045975219

Return to General