Banner Ad 1

Water Detector - Electronic device

Post your favorite modeling 'tips' and 'tricks'

Postby U-Boater » Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:11 pm

Hi all, Does anybody know if there is such an item as an (Electronic) water detecting device which can be incorperated inside the WTC. My WTC has no see thru facility.
and hopefully, has no leaks. it is a lot of trouble going in there to look. Any ideas How?...............U-Boater :O
Uninterupted Sub Sailing? I got the idea from a guy in the army called Private Lake
U-Boater

Postby dietzer » Wed Feb 26, 2003 5:21 pm

Here's a circuit for automatically activating a bilge pump when water is detected:

http://www.mhsd.org/model/autopump.htm

You could easily modify it to turn on an LED, or a buzzer, etc. to alert you when water is present in the WTC.

Hope this helps,

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby U-Boater » Thu Feb 27, 2003 8:25 am

Hi, Carl, Thanks for the info. i will follow up your tip.
Uninterupted Sub Sailing? I got the idea from a guy in the army called Private Lake
U-Boater

Postby 76-1048675655 » Wed Mar 26, 2003 1:49 pm

Hi,

I use just the same kind of circuit and it works fine. Only if you're not controlling a pump or a motor you best use a smaller, cheaper NPN transistor, like a 2n2222 or equivalent. It is sufficient for up to a few hundred milliamps. OK for LEDs, small buzzer, 6V relay, etc. In this case, the resistor can be replaced by a 22kOhms or more, otherwise you will get false alarms. If the air contains lots of moisture in your area, condensation can occur when you put the sub in cold water.
Also, it is best to put two probes (in parallel), one at each end of the sub, that's where the water tends to accumulate when the boat is not level...

If you connect a LED, don't forget to add a resistor (in series): 1kOhms for 12v or 330Ohms for 6V.

Pins on the 2n2222 with TO-92 packaging:
(When looking at the flat side of the black plastic package)
E, B, C.

Have fun!
76-1048675655

Postby U-Boater » Tue Apr 01, 2003 3:37 pm

Hi Laurent. I have just connected the Led and resistor in series and it works!. The Led is inclined to flicker, but is quite bright. Tested it on a dummy WTC............regds
U-Boater

Return to Modeling Tips and Tricks