Banner Ad 1

Favourite Sci-fi/movie sub - Place your bets!

Nautilus, Seaview, and more

Favourite Sci-fi/movie sub - Place your bets!

Seaview
17%
Proteus
5%
FS1
No votes
Thunderbird 4
2%
Disney nautilus
51%
Proteus
2%
ABC Nautilus
2%
Seaquest DSV
15%
Stingray
No votes
Red October
5%

Total votes : 41

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 16, 2004 11:13 am

Couple more days to vote, guys!

Looks like it'll be a close thing! :p

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:10 pm

....and the winner is-

The Disney Nautilus!!!

Foregone conclusion really, but it's interesting to see that some of the other boats didn't even get a vote, oh well.

Seaview and Seaquest DSV drew on second place with the proteus trailing in third place.

Cheers

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1090523803

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rcher » Thu Jul 22, 2004 3:35 pm

The Disney Nautilus is a pretty cool sub, but I'd have to admit that the LEG Sword of the Sea submarine is growing on me.
Rcher

Postby Rcher » Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:03 pm

What the H***?!?! Isn't there an edit button for this forum?

Anyway, I meant to say LXG (aka League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and the Nautilus (aka Sword of the Ocean.)
Rcher

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:26 pm

Yes there is an edit function, but you need to be a member to enjoy that facility.

Andy

Edited By Sub culture on 1090600184

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo » Sat Jul 24, 2004 3:12 am

Rcher said:

"Anyway, I meant to say LXG (aka League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) and the Nautilus (aka Sword of the Ocean.)"

So, what would you have edited: the abbreviation for League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, or your opinion that the Nautilus from that movie looked good?

Just teasing ya, bud; don't get mad. :p

It's just that most of the comments I heard about the "Sword of the Seas" were complaints from people who thought:

(1) It looks too much like a Type XXI U-boat;

(2) It looks more like a letter opener than a submarine;

(3) No way could it be that fast:

(4) No way could it be that large;

(5) The interior looked more like an office building than a submarine;

and gripes like that.

But hey! To each their own! And actually, I'm glad to see somebody liked that design!

And who knows? Maybe there are other people out there who thought the SOTS was cool.

Soooo......whatayasay let's ammend this thread to get people's opinions on the Sword of the Seas NAUTILUS from LXG?

Whadjooguys thinka datwon? ???

Pat "not trying to make trouble, just wanna have fun" Regan
VULCANIA SUBMARINE: Home of the Nautilus Minisub and 20,000 Leagues Diving Suits
Captain Nemo

Postby Sub culture » Sat Jul 24, 2004 7:28 am

There were quite few boats left out of the poll, mainly Nautilus variations.

Put simply, the ones that I didn't include were left out because they generally failed to move people or stick in the mind.

I think the poll broadly represented sci-fi and movie subs, and the fact that the ABC Nautilus- surely the best Nautilus design since the Goff version- didn't post a single vote proves my point.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Rcher » Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:18 am

Subculture, I understand that you couldn't include all variations of the Nautilus in your poll and you left out one of the THE most famous submarine in the movie industry. (Hint, it's Yellow.) But I voted for the Disney Nautilus myself. [:D]

As for the the Sword of the Ocean Nautilus. I got out my LXG DVD last night and studied the images of the Sword of Ocean. It's a pretty neat looking submarine. I think that the rearend treatment was butt ugly with the pinecone props and the three overhanging rudders. Some of the pictures that I looked at tho, it was pretty cool that the Sword of the Ocean sort of looked like a huge sperm whale. Kinda like the way the Disney Nautilus looked like a giant fish. As for the size and interior of the LXG Nautilus, have you seen the size and interior of a luxury cruise ship lately?? The LXG Nautilus is pretty spartan by comparision.
Rcher

Postby Bob the Builder » Mon Jul 26, 2004 1:29 pm

Sub culture wrote:I think the poll broadly represented sci-fi and movie subs, and the fact that the ABC Nautilus- surely the best Nautilus design since the Goff version- didn't post a single vote proves my point.

Andy,

You and I both know that we're on the same page in regards to our opinions of this (awesome) sub design.

Plans are in the works to R/C one, but I'll be darned if I can figure a way to get that scale high waterline with so much hull up there. I'm thinking I'll have to settle for a dynamic diver, probably pulled down with thrusters. I've got two other projects to finish up first, so I've got lots of time to think on it.

In regards to the LXG sub... I could have lived with a different design. It's alright, but waaaaay overdone. I tjust didn't seem to fit with the time period at all (cruise missiles? Come on, people!).
Bob Martin,
RCSub homepage: http://www.rc-sub.com
Bob the Builder
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Thu Jul 29, 2004 1:14 pm

[quote]but I'll be darned if I can figure a way to get that scale high waterline with so much hull up there.

How about adding some air bladders concealed behind bottom hull plates that can be inflated and protrude from the bottom to lift the model to the desired waterline once on the surface.

They would be concealed the rest of the time to give that scale apperance. Sort of like the float on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or the float around the Apollo space capsule but hidden bellow the boats outline.

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 30, 2004 6:31 am

Scott T wrote:
but I'll be darned if I can figure a way to get that scale high waterline with so much hull up there.

How about adding some air bladders concealed behind bottom hull plates that can be inflated and protrude from the bottom to lift the model to the desired waterline once on the surface.

They would be concealed the rest of the time to give that scale apperance. Sort of like the float on Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or the float around the Apollo space capsule but hidden bellow the boats outline.

Scott

Fitting airbags underneath would decrease the metacentric height, which would almost certainly make the boat less stable.
Plus it wouldn't look the part IMHO.

I've discussed this with Bob offline, and I think the solution lies in placing valves in the free flood sections.

This way the boat would be effectively a dry hull boat when at the surface waterline, until opening the valves result in the areas around the wtc free flooding. This could take the boat down to a more managable waterline, whereupon a smaller ballast system (gas, piston tank etc.) mounted inside the WTC could take over buoyancy control.

A centrifugal pump could be used to pump out the water when wishing to return to scale(!) waterline, as it isn't required to work against pressure. Alternatively compressed air could be pressed into service although this would require an air receiver which could result in more bulk.

This system apes full size submarines.

Andy

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Fri Jul 30, 2004 10:35 am

Sounds good.

I was thinking if there was not enough internal space to float it high enough on ballast tanks then air bags (3 or 4) positioned to form stable legs would push the boat skyward to the desired waterline.

Is the ABC Nautilus the one that resembles a horseshoe crab?

In this version of Captain Nemos Nautilus he has probably installed his high speed surface travel hydro-planes.
As I recall (imagine ) they extend down on legs when in use. :O
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:59 am

The ABC Nautilus was based on a species of Lobster known as the Balmain bug.

These are native to Austrailia and New Zealand.

As the boat was designed and built in Australia, by an outfit known as 'The Modelsmiths', this makes perfect sense.

Not sure how they compare to a horseshoe crab mind.

http://faunanet.gov.au/wos/factfile.cfm?Fact_ID=72

Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Fri Jul 30, 2004 2:57 pm

Found a picture on a web site. I believe it is of Mr. Babingtons Model.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Fri Jul 30, 2004 3:10 pm

Bottom of same model.

Balmain bug
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

PreviousNext

Return to Television and Movie Submarines