Banner Ad 1

Chinese secretly built a new class of submarine

This is the place to read all about submarines in the real world!

Postby Novagator » Fri Jul 16, 2004 9:35 am

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20040716-123134-8152r.htm

They built a Yuan Class deisel electric.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:00 am

Interesting article, I would really like to hear some more info on this subject if anybody can find more. From the words I read, it looks like China is preparing for an offensive on Taiwan. The so called "runaway province" is anouncing separation from the mainland. I do not know what the future will bring. Will there be a war? I sincerly hope not.
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Novagator » Fri Jul 16, 2004 10:44 am

China's whole military build up right now is take back Taiwan at any costs. They are developing weapons to take out our carriers.

One article I read, was they would nuke LA and San fran to scare us away from Taiwan.

On a side note, I wish I could find a pic of the new sub.
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby David H » Sat Jul 17, 2004 7:37 pm

For some time the chinese have been developing their next generation of SSN's and SSBN's to replace the Han's and lone Xia class boat. They are called the SSN Type 093 and the SSBN is the Type 094. I have only seen one photo of the 093 and it's only the Sail. :)
"Baldrick ,you would'nt recognise a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced on top a harpsichord singing "Subtle plans are here again!!" Blackadder.
David H

Postby all ahead flank » Sun Jul 18, 2004 10:06 pm

I found this pic and a short clip about the new sub, but this info might not be credible, because as far as I know there is no other resource that has a picture of this boat!!! :D

hope this helps a little:

"As the next generation of Chinese SSG, the first boat of this class (Type 04x?) was recently launched in Spring 2004 at Wuhan Shipyard. Its design appears to have drawn some features from both 039A and Kilo. The submarine has a 039A style sail with diving planes. However a raised structure on top of the teardrop shaped hull clearly suggests a Kilo influence. A major technical advance of 04x is believed to be focusing on its new AIP system, based on a prototype tested onborad a Ming SS. This enables the submarine to achieve an extended loitering time underneath the water far away from the Chinese coast. As a tradition aimed for the greater safety, a double-hull design is thought to have been retained. Integrated with advanced noise reduction techniques including anechoic tiles, passive/active noise reduction, asymmetrical seven-blade skewed propeller, 04x is expected to be as quiet as other modern diesel/electric powered submarines therefore much difficult to be tracked. Like 039, 04x is also capable of launching YJ-8 series AShMs, besides 533mm wire-guided torpedos from 6 forward tubes at the stern. The emergence of 04x in such a short period after the starting of series production of Song class SSG came to a surprise to the US intelligence community which quickly gave it a Yuan designation. Together with 093, Song and Kilo class submaines, Yuan class will pose a serious threat to US and Taiwanese naval forces. "

and here's the pic:

New Sub
Down scope

John Petrucelli
all ahead flank

Postby all ahead flank » Mon Jul 19, 2004 7:26 am

sorry the my last post's pic doesnt work! :(

here it is again:

http://www.stormpages.com/jetfight/han_xia_kilo_song.htm
Down scope

John Petrucelli
all ahead flank

Postby bcliffe » Mon Jul 19, 2004 8:59 am

Found this .... looks to be the same photo with a different angle.

Cheers
BC
What goes down, must come up .... eventually !
bcliffe

Return to Subs in the News