Banner Ad 1

Sub carrying case and thread finder

Post your favorite modeling 'tips' and 'tricks'

Sub carrying case and thread finder

Postby petn7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:47 pm

So I wanted to use some PVC pipe, endcaps, and foam to protect my Trumpeter "Seawolf" submarine. Turns out that Schedule 40, 6" PVC is super duper heavy. Anyhoo, I have two unrelated questions.

1. Is PVC from PVC pipe that much heavier than acrylic from cast/extruded acrylic pipe? (I'm considering using acrylic pipe to carry my sub). My rough calculations have PVC at about 1,400 Kg/cubic meter with acrylic being about 1,100Kg/cubic meter. Any other suggestions for materials to carry a sub?

2. Dumas, part no. 2013 (http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wt ... LXE524&P=7) uses what type of set/grub screw? I've estimated it to be 5-40, but does anyone know for sure? Anyone know a way of finding out for myself what kind of grub screw it requires (I've already e-mailed Dumas, but they haven't replied).

P.S. Half serious offer: anyone want some free PVC pipe (you gotta pick it up, though)?
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Postby M. Munger » Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:56 pm

1. I've converted a heavy cardboard shipping tube into a sub transporter, similar to a SCR article a few years ago. A brush coat of resin and some paint to seal it, no problem!

2. I believe they are 6-32 set screws (don't forget to replace with stainless if submerging).
SC member #1848
What part of "Bonds skin instantly" DON'T you understand?? :-P
M. Munger
SubCommittee Member

Postby petn7 » Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:13 pm

M. Munger wrote:1. I've converted a heavy cardboard shipping tube into a sub transporter, similar to a SCR article a few years ago. A brush coat of resin and some paint to seal it, no problem!

2. I believe they are 6-32 set screws (don't forget to replace with stainless if submerging).

Thanks for the advice. I'm pretty sure the grub screws are 5-XX, though, as the diameter from thread to thread is 1/8". I think that's the "major diameter"...according to wikipedia.org

EDIT: Dumas finally replied saying those grub screws are 6-32 x 1/8".
petn7
SubCommittee Member

Return to Modeling Tips and Tricks