Banner Ad 1

Scale Shipyard Gato

Have any sub 'stuff' to sell or trade?

Scale Shipyard Gato

Postby fargophil » Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:54 pm

About 25 years ago I bought what I and a friend believe to be a 32nd Paralles Gato hull. I did a little work on it then and then got busy with my job etc. Now that I am retired and have time to work on the model I find that time has taken a toll on my eyes and I cannot do the detail work this hull needs and deserves. The hull is 78" and has the coning tower included, a set of blue prints and a few reference books. I have attached one overall pic of the hull and have a couple more if desired. I have no idea what something like this is now worth so make an offer. At 78" shipping will probably be somewhat high/ My wife has a Fedex account thru her business with a substanial discount so that will probably be my choice for shipping but Im open to most anything.
Email me at fargophil@comcast.net

Based on the replys received I have changed the title of the post. Thanks for thelping me identify this hull.
Last edited by fargophil on Mon Feb 23, 2009 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fargophil

Postby Bigdave » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:39 pm

FYI- That is probably a Scale Shipyard hull. The 32P hull would be a lot larger. BD.
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:45 pm

if you got no deck, conning tower, plywood, etc. and it's not nearly 8 feet long, it's not a 32nd parallel, as BD stated.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Mon Feb 23, 2009 9:57 pm

As the others have said, I agree, that hull is simply too small to be a 32nd Parallel GATO. It would be almost 10 feet long (probably around 9ft 9in) if it was a 32nd P. Most likely, what you have there is 1/48 scale, and could very well be a Scale Shipyard hull like was suggested above since it only appears to have come with a conning tower.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

SSY Balao

Postby WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard » Sat Feb 28, 2009 6:09 pm

FargoPhil

Yes this is a Scale Shipyard 1:48 scale USS Balao SS-285 class hull, the conning tower in the photo id for a Balao not a Gato. The hulls were virtually identical with the main differance being the flood holes and these would vary by builder.

The 1:48 scale Balao comes with: Hull & Conning Tower in fiberglass. Cast rudder, fore and aft dive planes as well as hatches, escape hatches, capstans, watertight cannister covers and stern chock and we provide cast WW2 Submariners patrol badges for your display stand. A set of arrangement plans for the sub was also included.

These boats are still available for $399.00 + S&H, the price has not changed in several years.
W.L. Upshaw
The Scale Shipyard
www.scaleshipyard.com
Largest Selection of quality fiberglass model warship & submarine hulls.
WL Upshaw/Scale Shipyard

Postby fargophil » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:22 pm

Thanks to all who helped int the identification of the sub, It has been sold.
fargophil

Return to SubSwap