Banner Ad 1

Akula RTR

Have any sub 'stuff' to sell or trade?

Akula RTR

Postby Bigdave » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:08 pm

What I have for sale is my Akula that I built and did an article about in the SCR about 5 years ago.
It was my first RCABS sub. I started with a Dumas kit but used only the hull.
I blended the sail into the hull and ran a raised section down to the tail more like the real sub. I also made masters and molds for scale tail surfaces to replace the kit surfaces.
The boat is about as scale as you can make the Dumas kit getting a first place in subs at the Lake Redman model boat show.
The cylinder has a RCABS ballast system with a Thor failsafe and an over pressure switch for the three radialy mounted bladders.
The drive system is a Master Airsrew ball bearing gearbox with a 400 sized motor and 3/1 gearing. The jack shaft for the 6 blade scimitar prop is custom turned from T6061 aluminum with ball bearings on both sides.
I have a Thor Electronic Speed Control, Subtech APC-3 pitch controller, and BVR1 voltage regulator. Three Bantam servos control the rudder, rear planes, and ballast system. Subtech seals are used for shaft sealing as well.
Like all my cylinders this one is built modular with all the components mounted to the two end caps. The sub uses a 6V sealed lead acid battery for nice run times. The upper and lower hull is indexed and is held together by two screws. The scopes are all removable for transport.
Because I built the scale sized surfaces I have clear plug in rudder and plane extensions that allow the boat to run much better in the water. They are almost invisible in the water and you just pop them out for display.
I just had her out for a recent fun run (see video) and she runs as great as she always did.
I just have too many subs (you have no idea) :roll: and need to trim down my fleet.
I can sell the Akula RTR with a 6 channel Airtronics radio and receiver, or ARTR only needing your radio and receiver.
Please let me know if you need more information or photos. I am asking $450 for the sub without radio, and $525 with radio.

David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby Bigdave » Tue Jan 27, 2009 6:11 pm

Here is the video.
BTW-I know I spelled Filmed wrong. :lol:
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk