Banner Ad 1

I have sub from movie "Destination Inner Space" - movie sub

Have any sub 'stuff' to sell or trade?

Postby Diving Bill » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:51 pm

Here's the story and many photos of my submarine currently from 2004 and from the 1966 movie Destination Inner Space as far as what I know.

Several years ago my wife mentioned to me that she saw an ad in the paper that had a two man wet submarine for sale. I have always been interested in submarines from the earliest types on. My father was a submariner in WW2. I am also a diver.

I called the number and spoke to a Mr. Mcfarland of Mcfarland appliances in Land O' Lakes, Fl. and he told me to come over and see it. His appliance business was just a few miles from where I lived and he had the sub in a back building on two sawhorses.

While I was looking the sub over Mr. Mcfarland told me the person he bought the sub from had told him it had been in a movie years earlier but he didn't know which one. Mr. Mcfarland was in his middle seventies and was retiring from diving. He told me he had used the sub for loberstering in key west several times. We made a deal and I took the sub home and hung it from my garage rafters for several years and never got the chance to use it.

One day my cousin Steve called me and told me to turn on the t.v. to channel 10 that there was a movie on and he swore the sub on the movie looked just like mine. I turned on the t.v. and there it was. I couldn't believe it. Except for the missing propulsion unit that had been replaced at some later date by a rudder and a bracket on the nose that was a quick release topside tow line, and the passenger's missing wind/watershield, it was exactly like my submarine, even the same color.

I tried to reach Mr. Mcfarland again to see if he could remember and tell me who he had bought the sub from many years earlier, but he and his wife were on vacation and I never tried to reach him again. That was about a year and a half ago. I am going to try to reach him again and hope he is still alive.

I researched the movie on the net and found out the property master for the movie had died in 1998. Also both actors who rode in the sub in the movie are deceased. The movie was produced by United. I have tried to find out what happened to United but their trail runs cold after 1968 and I have been unable to find out whether some other company bought them out or what exactly happened to them so I haven't been able to locate anyone who could document the sub as being in the movie for me.

I will continue to try but it has been 38 years and time is marching on and starting to dim things so it may be that the only way I can document my sub is by photos of it today compared with photos of it in the movie in 1966. Unless by some chance I can get some info from Mr. Mcfarland if he still lives.

I have gone over the sub carefully and I see brackets and things that match the one in the movie exactly. I am convinced this is the same sub. The dive planes, shape, fin, even a remnant of a rear passenger windshield bracket is exactly the same as the one in the movie.

Take a look at the included photos and see for yourself.

Here's a bunch of photos of my sub, both from the 1966 movie and from today in 2004. Sometime during the last 38 years someone removed the original propulsion unit and replaced it with a rudder and also put a quick release bracket on the nose so the sub could be towed from a boat topside. Otherwise the sub is in remarkable condition.

I am putting a reserve of $3000 dollars on it. All offers considered.

Bill Akins Hudson, Florida. United States. phone (727) 819-8352 e mail lakins1@tampabay.rr.com
Diving Bill

Postby Diving Bill » Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:54 pm

In my last post I refered to included photos of my movie sub from "Destination Inner Space", sorry there way no way to actually include the photos at this site.
Diving Bill.
Diving Bill

Postby Novagator » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:11 pm

Do you have a website to host them?
John Cottingham
Sub Committee Member #2721
Novagator
SubCommittee Member

Postby Diving Bill » Tue Apr 27, 2004 6:17 pm

Sorry no, I don't have a website to host them. But I have other sites that are going to post them at their sites for me. I will post here when they are up and list the url if that is ok with the site owner here.
Diving Bill.
Diving Bill

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:34 am

Hi Bill,

Are you looking to sell this sub?

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Diving Bill » Wed Apr 28, 2004 6:40 pm

Yes jeff, I am looking to sell the sub.

I was just contacted by Robert Vanderpoole also known as UncleOdie who has an Irwin Allen site www.uncleodiescollectibles.com with lots of Voyage to the bottom of the sea stuff on it, and he told me he thinks the sub may possibly have been used in an episode of the t.v. series of "Voyage to the bottom of the sea" along with having been in the movie "Destination Inner Space". We are checking this and trying to find out proof. He is going to post photos of my sub by sunday at his site under "Voyage". But I want to build a new longer 15 ft kevlar wing tank sub, as opposed to 12ft fiberglass of my movie sub. I am not into collecting movie memoribilia, I just lucked into this one. The 1/2 inch thick kevlar helicopter drop tank would be much better for my WW2 aircraft wreck diving than my existing movie sub's 1/8 inch fiberglass. Need to sell my existing sub to buy the wing tanks and fit them out.
Diving Bill.
Diving Bill

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Apr 28, 2004 9:17 pm

I've moved this thread to the SubSwap forum where it should get better visibility for the seller.

-many thanks,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby MIT » Thu Apr 29, 2004 11:06 am

Seems that the sub is missing quite a few parts from the "original" movie model, (if indeed it is one).

Remember, many people build models of TV/Movie subs on their own, and do a pretty good job at it.

Then again without pictures and/or any other positive proof, it would be hard to say.

I wonder if anyone as any actual photos of the actual stage sub that was used.
MIT

Postby Diving Bill » Thu Apr 29, 2004 1:58 pm

Hi Mit. Let me address all the points about my movie two man wet sub you brought up.

You wrote.."Seems that the sub is missing quite a few parts from the "original" movie model, (if indeed it is one)"

I wouldn't say the sub is missing quite a few parts but it is missing some. Here is exactly what is missing..The rear passenger wind/watershield, the battery powered rear propulsion unit is missing and a rudder has been added where the propulsion unit originally was. The bumper trim that went all the way around the subs middle is missing. Only critical part here missing is battery powered propulsion unit. A rear windshield is easily made with plexiglass sheet and a heat gun and the propulsion unit could be easily replaced with a sealed diver handheld scotter unit. A similiar to the original bumber trim can be purchased at any marina supply outlet. Some work, but not major. Rudder, diveplane, footpedals, joystick all work fine.

You wrote..."Remember, many people build models of TV/Movie subs on their own, and do a pretty good job at it".

This is not a model. This is the full size two man wet mini sub from the 1966 sci fi movie "Destination Inner Space" that the actors and stunt people rode in. Nor is this a copy. The red gelcoated fiberglass hull looks like 1966 made 38 year old aged fiberglass should. The rear passenger windshield bracket was squashed flat on top of the center support but still in the exact place where it was originally centrally supporting the rear passengers windshield. I discovered what it was for when I watched and took stillframes of the sub in the movie. Didn't realize what it was or that rear passenger even HAD a rear windshield til I saw the movie. This helped explain the holes and brackets that I wondered what were doing on my sub.

You wrote..."Then again without pictures and/or any other positive proof, it would be hard to say". "I wonder if anyone as any actual photos of the actual stage sub that was used".

I have pictures aplenty both from today in 2004 and from the movie in 1966. They will hopefully be posted to UncleOdie's site by sunday he said and I will post the url here so you can see the pics at his site. Also when you inspect the sub in person you can see the holes around the middle where the bumper attached as it went around the sub. Also you can see the keel ridges that are identical on the movie sub...The exact shape and size and center support are identical...the original front windshield is yellowed with age and has many small cracks as a 38 yr old plexiglass windshield would. The fiberglass is only about 1/8 of an inch or even a bit thinner. I do not think this is as thick as it should be for a working sub but would have been adequate for a movie prop sub that was only going to be used for a few scenes and noone ever envisioned the sub would survive this long. When the pics get up at UncleOdie's site and you go and look at them side by side, 1966 and today, you will see that it is the same sub. This sub could still be used as a two man wet sub, but I feel its age and movie memoribilia history and value should land it in a collection like a good old warhorse put to pasture. I'm just not into collecting sci fi memoribilia and more interested in building a working kevlar sub that is a bit longer than the movie sub. I just lucked into buying this movie sub.

Judge for yourself. I will post url as soon as pics up.

Diving Bill.
Diving Bill

Postby Diving Bill » Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:34 pm

"Destination Inner Space" movie sub pics are up now at UncleOdie's yahoo group http://tv.groups.yahoo.com/group/uncleodies/

Look under "files" and you will see it. You have to join this yahoo group to access the files.

UncleOdie also known as Robert Vanderpoole has another site that is not a yahoo group where you can see my subs pics and lots of Irwin Allen "Voyage to the bottom of the sea" and other stuff. He said my sub pics should be up there as well by sunday listed under "Voyage" His url to that site is
http://www.uncleodiescollectibles.com

The board is green and we have pressure in the boat.
Diving Bill.
Diving Bill

Return to SubSwap