Banner Ad 1

Please help

Have any sub 'stuff' to sell or trade?

Postby TopGun » Sat Jun 14, 2003 4:29 pm

I bought a second hand Alfa sub and a WTC. I have never built an r/c submarine and the alfa or the WTC dont have instructions! All I have to show for 600 dollars is a glass shell of a sub and a plastic tube(I am not impressed) :( Where can I get instructions? Also the wtc is one big watertight compartment and one compartment with a hole and what looks like the propel tank. Is this right? How does this all work?
TopGun

Postby 77-1051575249 » Sun Jun 15, 2003 1:22 am

Wow, you jumped right in. It might have been better to get an off-the-shelf kit (like Robbe, etc.) before trying to build from components.

It sounds like you paid a reasonable price for what you got, unfortunately you are going to need a lot more.

I would suggest getting a couple of books on this subject, one I really like is "Model Submarine Technology". I bought mine on E-Bay (there are some listed right now). Some say this book is a bit too complex, but I found it great for understanding what all is involved in model submarines.

I would be happy to give you suggestions, just e-mail me at MikeLTD@aol.com and I'll try to help.

You could put your newly purchased stuff aside and buy a kit. Assemble that, and if you like it you will surely want to build another sub. Then you will have a lot more understanding of what you have gotten yourself into.

It would be helpfull to attend a regatta to watch others use their boats. Then when you have a question it can be answered by actually looking at the component you would like to know about.

These are just a few thoughts, I hope they have been helpful.

Mike
77-1051575249

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jun 15, 2003 3:25 pm

...you've got mail!

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby PaulC » Sun Jun 15, 2003 9:13 pm

You might do well to check out the online assembly instructions for the ThorDesign Permit kit. You can view them at: http://www.thordesign.com/Permit/kit_permit_intro.html
While not an Alfa, the instructions go a long way in explaining how to assemble most any hull/appendage set and they also explain the elements of a prefabbed WTC. Though currently a few steps from being complete, there's plenty of information there to keep you busy, and in the shop, for a long time. Good luck!
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Return to SubSwap