Banner Ad 1

Waterproof Servos

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

Postby Mkeatingss » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:13 pm

This is a common error. "Waterproof" means you can spash it, or take it out in the rain. If you plan to submerge it, it must be "Watertight" and a max depth (i.e 300m) will be listed. You'll usually see this with watches.

Mike K.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby Robert F. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:40 pm

It is rather odd that this mistake is being made so often. After all, we all speak of WTC's (Water Tight Containers) instead of WPC's (Water Proof Containers), don't we? So we should know that there is a difference...

Having said that, I think your design for a WTS (Water Tight Servo :wink: ) looks promising, John!

Robert
Robert F.
SubCommittee Member

Postby tsenecal » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:47 pm

I don't want to get in an argument about all this, but I don't think these definitions are all that cut and dried...

My impression was that waterproof meant water proof. and "water resistant" meant that it could be splashed.

I have a camera that says it is "Waterproof" on the box, and in the documentation states that the camera is water proof down to 10 feet.
tsenecal
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:35 pm

waterproof/watertight = submersible
water-resistant = splashable
...that is my understanding too. I would tend to refer to a seal as being watertight, but to a complete technical object like a camera casing, a watch, a servo as being waterproof, with the terms overlapping. As an example, take a look at what this website says about waterproof watches:
http://www.luxist.com/2008/04/22/things ... oof-watch/

Language details aside, let's continue with waterproofing a servo.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby xxl » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:38 pm

very nice how much
Captain Ramius: You're afraid of our fleet. Well, you should be. Personally, I'd give us one chance in three. More tea anyone?

Stihl 026 066

Engel lafayette
xxl

Return to New Product Announcements