Banner Ad 1

Steve Neill's RC Sub Building for Dummies

Heard about a new product? Announce it here!

Steve Neill's RC Sub Building for Dummies

Postby U812 » Mon Oct 15, 2007 8:41 pm

Well Caswell has me in a pen. Seems he's got the right coast and left coast covered. And soon, the world! Ahahahahah!

What he has me doing is to write a basic book on the craft of scratch building based on my past experience of the last three years and 5 scratch builds. Some what unique about my experiences is making hull without the aid of CAD, lathes, mills, pressure pots, vacuum chambers and much much more. Maybe I should name it Steve Neill's by the Seat of Your pants Sub building because that's what it is.

I've kept it simple so anyone with a bit of talent could build a sub and get started. Rocket science can come later.

Table of contents

1. Acknowledgments
2. Introduction
3. Research your project
4. Materials
5. Water tight cylinders
6. Making the Hull masters
7. Making the sail, deck and appendages
8. Making hull molds
9. Casting the hull
10. Casting resin parts
11. Props, masts, fittings and scopes
12. Building the boat
13. Trimming the boat
14. Running the boat
15. Conclusion

At this point the book is finished. It has many photos of the step by step processes just like my build threads. But I found that pictures alone weren't clear enough. So this is where my CGI talent came into play.

Once I fatten the book with more diagrams and images the wife edits the book. She's from England and can write the Queens language. Then Caswell gets it another brit, so between the two you should all be able to understand my gibberish. Then Merriman has offered to do a forward.

Many of the names here and SC are blamed for my obsession with subs. Be warned! LOL! The usual suspects will be known.

Here's some samples of the CGI I did for the book. I even built a virtual Subdriver WTC so I could clearly show how this WTC functions to the smallest detail. The CGI camera can zoom in anywhere and at any angle. I still have the wiring to finish off. I'll also show how it mounts in a boat and gets hooked up.

Steve

U812

Postby BoomerFunker » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:54 am

Just one question Steve...

WHEN can I get one?

Its a great idea. Just the sort of book I was looking for when I started this hobby. Congrats

TomK
BoomerFunker
SubCommittee Member

Postby dietzer » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:58 am

Steve,

Awesome job! Your CGI is terrific!

Count me in for a copy of your book! I can't wait to get one!

Carl
Carl Dietz
SC#2504
dietzer

Postby U812 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 3:38 am

Thanks guys.

Tom I got about a week of going over the book and adding things it needs. Then it gets edited. Then it's up to Mike Caswell to print it. So I would imagine it will be awhile but Mike doesn't fool around and gets the job done. With all that said the answer is very soon.

In addition to this book Mike is having me make two high end build instruction videos that climax with the sea trials. This will be more like a Discovery Channel style show than a straight forward instruction video. Lots more Hollywood and entertainment is the idea.

Lets hope all this gives the hobby more growth. Every day I still run into people that are amazed such a thing as a radio controlled sub that really dives exists.

Hey Carl. Thanks for the kind words about the CGI.

Steve
U812

Postby Sub culture » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:05 pm

Good on ya Steve. Something like this has been needed for a Looong time.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:25 am

Andy thank you. Always a pleasure.

It took 5 grueling days to do this but now I have it. A virtual sub model. And I could have gone 5 days more and really made it look real. But the whole point was to keep it simple so the new sub modeler could get a clear grasp of how our boats work. Everything works on it. Things turn, prop rotates. It is truly virtual.

So now to go back over the book and anywhere I had a hard time putting things into words the graphics will clarify.

More to come and thanks for the support men.

Steve

U812

Postby Mylo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 10:59 am

I will buy this book. I'm just pissed off it wasn't available a year ago, It would have saved me HOURS of research and asking a ton of questions. Great idea and good initiative on your part Steve to make it happen.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby U812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:39 pm

Thanks Mylo very much.

Steve
U812

Postby Bigdave » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:48 pm

Hey Steve,
Next time please make your wood tables a lighter color stain. I am not a fan of dark wood. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :P :P :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: BD.

BTW- Excellent work my friend!! 8) 8)
David Welch
Commodore SR-8

"Eat your pudding Mr Land". "I ain't sure it's puddin" James Mason-Kirk
Douglas, 20K
Bigdave
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 5:53 pm

Thanks BD!

Steve
U812

Postby Mylo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:34 pm

Steve,

Is there going to be a chapter on how to build a WTC from start to finish ? I'm getting close to NEEDING this kind of reference for my VIIc/41 build for when I take on that phase. Maybe you could sub contract (no pun intended) that section out, but I think this "build a sub" book wouldn't be complete without it. I didn't notice such a thing in your table of contents but do see how your CG pics show the guts.

Mylo
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby U812 » Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:45 pm

No Mylo I didn't plan this. Mike Caswell wanted a simple book for those getting started. Build a WTC from scratch is a big pain. Haven't done it and don't want to.

There are plenty of commercially available WTCs on the market. For big boats like yours there is not except maybe for Engle. There are many rocket scientists here who can help you with that. Right boys?

Best to have a lathe, engineering skills and all the proper tools do make your own. Seals and o-rings are easy to get. You just have to design your WTC to fit your boat and do a bit of math with regards to volume necessary to get you boat at the true water line. Then engine size, esc and power set up.

I talk about the basic WTC and show you how it works and where to buy one.

I would recommend writing to Merriman and BigDave for help with this. I'm sure Merriman will be impressed with your big boat as he really appreciates a guy like you that gets down and dirty with their hands to produce such a master piece as you have Mylo.

Steve
U812

Postby Mylo » Thu Oct 18, 2007 7:24 pm

Steve,

You know what,..... I understand. If a "simple" how to build a sub book is your goal, maybe it IS best to leave such complicated things as the WTC out of it, ....that's a book all on it's own. Shows what I know about putting a book together.

Yeah, I'll have to hound the Daves on the topic of WTCs. I want to design and build my own WTC (basically, I have no choice if I want my VIIc/41 to be r/c), I think that would be just as cool as scratch building the model. I'm sure there are equally as many lessons to learn and I hope those in the know are willing to share their knowledge......'cause I'll be looking. By the way, I have no lathe, no engineering skills, and no proper tools......, all I've ever had is enthusiasm, it's got me this far on this build, hopefully it's enough to see me through to completion.

Agreed, I've been down and dirty with my boat (does that sound...weird ?) in order to make it happen but like I said, if I had this book you're putting together when I started my project, it would have made figuring out how to do it MUCH less daunting, AND saved you a lot of time answering my questions. Now, whether my VIIc/41 is a "masterpiece" is in the eye of the beholder I suppose. I'm happy with it so far, but I don't know if it's a Rembrandt (did I spell that right ?....let me check, I'll just look at one of several I have hanging on my walls). None the less, I appreciate your very generous compliment. Thanks. Time will tell when I get mine in the water. I've got my sights set on Regatta '08. If the Daves are willing to enlighten me as to WTC construction, I'll be most thankful. ....maybe THEY need to write a book ?

I look forward to buying your book, with or without a WTC chapter, it'll be a handy reference and general "oh yeah, that's how I did it." book to have in my collection. I'll be building another sub someday, I'll need it to refresh my memory.

Mylo

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:34 pm

Congratulations Steve! This should give a great shot in the arm for the hobby. Well done sir.

As a suggestion, I would recommend switching out your black backgrounds for something lighter on your topmost graphics. Black looks rich on screen but it eats a lot of ink and can block up on you during the printing process making for muddy backgrounds on paper. Just a thought from a guy who has been there :oops:

Best,
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:01 am

Thanks Tim. I hope it helps the hobby along and brings fresh blood to the theater.

As far as I know Mike will have these printed through a printing company. Would that make any difference. Just the same I tried this and it's not so bad.

If you look close you can see the receding water and the gas in the cylinder.

Good point Tim.

Steve
U812

Next

Return to New Product Announcements