Banner Ad 1

Colors of HMS Vanguard

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Colors of HMS Vanguard

Postby arthur krull » Wed Jan 20, 2010 5:18 pm

All,

I'm building a Bronco 1/350th H.M.S. Vanguard kit more or less out of the box. I'm confused about the colors to paint it. Current photos show a very dark black on the upper hull. I assume this is some sort of non-skid walking surface. The rest of boat from the waterline up and the sail is a dark grey color. I assume this is the color of weathered tiles.

Is the hull below the waterline that same tile color or is it something else? Also what color is the bow sonar dome?

Thanks,

Art
arthur krull

Re: Colors of HMS Vanguard

Postby David J Ross » Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:36 pm

I am not really sure that different colours were used. From what I recall seeing, when any of the class were on the ship lift, the apparent colour differences were caused more by light reflecting of the different materials with which the ships were covered than actual paint shades used. Some materials had a very matt finish whilst others had a bit os a sheen to them. This photo, of HMS Astute, may illustrate what I mean as I believe it would have been finished in the same way.

Hope this does not make things harder for you.
Dave Ross (from Barrow, where Vanguard was built)
My online photo album... http://david-j-ross.smugmug.com/
David J Ross

Postby Thor » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:07 pm

Ping Steve Neil. He has quite a bit of information on this boat and just finished a turnkey build.

Here is the link to the build thread with painting tips...

http://www.subpirates.com/showthread.ph ... t=vanguard

Matt
Thor
SubCommittee Member

Postby wlambing » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 pm

Gents,

The picture above is HMS Astute, wearing typical British livery. They tend to go all over dark gray. It's hard to see in that picture, but there is just a slight change in sheen below the limber slot at the bottom of the superstructure. Very typical of their boats. Did a bunch of researching for my own Brit projects and it's safe to say that upperworks and lower hull colors are essentially the same.

Take care,

Bill
"If you ignore the problem long enough, it will go away. Even flooding stops eventually!"
wlambing
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler