Banner Ad 1

Christmas in November -- stash of old Aurora kits

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Christmas in November -- stash of old Aurora kits

Postby Fred Tannenbaum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 pm

Time was when there was a little more selection for those fans of static submarine models. No, we didn't have Revell's massive GATO and VIIC or Trumpeter's Gatos. Heck, Revell didn't re-issue its Growler until 1982. But Aurora's "Big A" line was readily available and affordable albeit a little short on the details we enjoy today. Photoetch was far in the future.

I built many of those kits, at least once. I bought a complete set (6) of the "box scale" kits for the day when I could apply what I had learned on the previous attempts.

Today, I found them.

Unsealed but complete. Including the Japanese I-19 and the Soviet Golf-class submarine. Wow. Plus a few hulls of U-boats, USS Nautilus and Skipjack which might make for good dioramas. I intend on building them using materials and techniques I've picked up from a variety of sources, including FineScale Modeler.

Some of the decals look a little yellowed, which is to be expected. I might look for aftermarket replacements.

Just wanted to share this rare find!
Fred Tannenbaum

Re: Christmas in November -- stash of old Aurora kits

Postby Tom Dougherty » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:40 pm

Fred, Must have been an enormously pleasant surprise! Let me know if you would like the Russian Golf plans; I have a very detailed set that we used for the "Azorian: The Raising of the K-129" documentary. The Aurora stern (tapered) needs to be rebuilt to be shaped more like a Type XXI stern, and needs three propellers (starboard, port and centerline). Or, just build it OOB for the nostalgia value!

Tom
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Re: Christmas in November -- stash of old Aurora kits

Postby Fred Tannenbaum » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:23 am

I'm afraid I don't have your or Ken Hart's modeling skills so I will probably build it OOB. But I was looking at a color drawing of a Golf last night, especially studying the antennae and scopes atop the scale and thinking about how to reproduce them. Bending staples came to mind!

If the numeral decals for the sail are too yellowed, do you have any ideas where I could look to find replacements? I just looked on the Microscale model railroad catalogue for letters and numbers but nothing they have quite meets the slender look of those Soviet numerals. I'm thinking British aircraft numerals next.

Thank you, Tom!
Fred Tannenbaum

Return to Static Modeler