Banner Ad 1

special Navy Type IIA : januari 2008

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby kazzer » Mon Apr 28, 2008 4:53 pm

Jeff

Do you have some photos of the props please?

Are they on 1/8" shafts?
kazzer

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:58 pm

kazzer wrote:Are they on 1/8" shafts?

Unfortunately, no. These are solid cast resin props and are intended to simply be glued to the aft end of the prop shaft housing.

I tried taking some photos, but the almost white color of the resin is washing out the detail in the flash. I'm going to try again tomorrow when (hopefully) the rain stops and the sun is out. If that doesn't work, I'll give them a primer coat and try that.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Warpatroller » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:43 pm

Jeff, thanks for posting the additional photos! Nice job on the two full length shots. I already have done a little staring.. lol

I was referring to the two bent stanchions in the middle of the bottom row shown in your white metal part picture, didn't realize those two were suppose to be bent.

Do you happen to own the SN XXIII kit? I recall that Sam Reichart repeatedly expressed his displeasure with this kit on this forum and others. I am considering getting the Alanger XXIII kit instead, even though there are some things I don't like about it (the flatness and hard edges of the top rear part of the tower, less realistic looking schnorkel head and a few other issues). From the info I have gathered, the Alanger XXIII is a full INCH longer in hull length than the SN XXIII.. The stern tail portions of the hull are shaped differently also. This is another uboat with details that seem shrouded in mystery.

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Tue Apr 29, 2008 12:41 am

Jeff I see the limber holes are open. How about the drains? I hope, I hope.

Nice kit. Looks like it can be RC for sure. I'll get BD on it.

Also How about a nice comparison? Such as holding it in your hands.

Steve
U812

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Apr 29, 2008 9:59 am

While I have heard of the problems with the SN Type XXIII kit, I've not seen one....so cannot comment on it's quality. Sam has built a lot of model kits, so I definitely trust his word on that kit.

The drain holes in the lower bow are open...look really good too! But the ones around the torpedo tubes and the stern skeg are not. Strange that it was done that way......

The biggest 'miss' for the kit is the center keel ballast vents. As already mentioned, this might be due to SN using the Vesikko as their primary reference, but I have seen models of Type VIIC U-boats done the same, incorrect way.

I'll try to get some additional photos after work today.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Tue Apr 29, 2008 2:36 pm

Prop Shop will probably have some props that'll look the part, and work well.

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Thu May 01, 2008 4:54 am

As to the number of periscopes in Type II boats:
The new edition of "U-Boot im Focus" includes a nice overhead photograph of U 2, U 3, U 4 and U6 in port. They all have 2 periscopes.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 01, 2008 10:38 am

...is that edition no. 3? Didn't know it was available.....time to order!

-tnx,

Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby hakkikt » Thu May 01, 2008 11:20 am

Aye, edition no. 3. Definitely worth its money, for the report about Ali Cremer's Elektroboot U 2519 alone.

-Harald
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby sam reichart » Thu May 01, 2008 8:32 pm

Jeff- just got caught up on this thread, as I just learned the II was finally out when I received my Squadron catalog. $99 at Squadron.

Per your observations:
why they choose to make some parts resin, as opposed to styrene; I asked the same question of them for the XXIII. It almost seems like they had to make it multimedia to justify the high price, as most of the resin pieces on the XXIII could (and should) have been styrene (e.g. the Balkongerat).

looks like the modeler will need to do some filling and sanding wherever the deck meets the hull. One thing that I'm curious about- do the left and right side parts match; that is, is the right bow plane, for example, the same shape and size as the left? One my biggest gripes was that the left and right side of the XXIII looked like they were made by two different companies with two different mold sets, and then the parts were thrown together in a box.

The scopes look good. I'd ditch the PE railings and use wire.

Lots of $$$ for the kit, but as it's the only game in town, either you spring for it, or forever hold your peace. :D

BTW, I read somewhere there's going to be a IID hull and tower insert made available as well...not sure if that's true or not, but a IID woul dbe pretty awesome as well.

and, Models by Mickster is great to deal with as well... (my 2 cents).
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Thu May 01, 2008 10:32 pm

Hi Sam,

I can confirm that this kit is properly symmetrical. :)

I also agree with your point about using resin where it's not really adding any value...and possibly resulting in some parts that are of lesser quality.

Assuming that this is a correctly proportioned IIA, adding an insert to lengthen it for a B or C would be trivial given where and how the foreward hull sections split from the aft sections.

Right now I'm coming to the conclusion that this hull may not be a IIA...more of a IIB or IIC. The length to height ratio looks wrong....yet the various measurements seem to agree with the published numbers. More research is needed.....we might be talking about cutting part of the forward hull to make it a IIA.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Typ II U-Boat Drawings

Postby snegron » Fri May 02, 2008 9:46 am

Hello again folks! Been w while since I've posted here....

I just ordered a bunch of the IIa kits and the Uboot im Focus books, can't wait to get them! I also scored a copy (now sadly OOP) of the Vom Original for the typ II. I can't seem to find a Planrolle listed though. Does anyone know if they were made for the typ II?

Yes, the Special Navy XXIII is a complete POS. I just ordered the OOP Alanger one, the hull looks more usable (the SN one is so warped, it looks like a twisted banana when assembled, and has a strange "bulge" in the area wher the CT meets the hull). I'm hoping that combining both kits and the Eduard set will be a decent starting point.

Thrilled to see a 1/72 Typ II,......Now we need is a decent 1/72 Type VII !!!

Best regards,

Scott
snegron

Re: Typ II U-Boat Drawings

Postby JWLaRue » Fri May 02, 2008 10:03 am

snegron wrote:Hello again folks! Been w while since I've posted here....
<text deleted>
Thrilled to see a 1/72 Typ II,......Now we need is a decent 1/72 Type VII !!!

....ummm, haven't you seen the Revell of Germany Type VIIC kits that have been out for a couple of years now? There are two of them. One with and one without the Atlantic bow.

-Jeff

p.s. to my knowledge there has never been a planrolle for the VOZM Type II commercially available.
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Pun Intended

Postby snegron » Fri May 02, 2008 11:01 am

Hi Jeff. Yes, I was joking about the Revell kits. I've probably got several hundred hours into the hull halves, "no rivet left unturned." Not sure if you're familiar with Tiger Model Designs, but we're working on a new line....

http://www.wolfpackmodels.com/

Hoping to release a full resin 1/72 U-201 and U-47 in the next year or so. Just running a bit behind. Interested in helping:)?! Still have the inner pressure hull to finish, and a bit more on the hull halves for U-201.

I took 8 months off to build a new shop, which has really set back the release of the first kit. You would probably love the shop, I took the shipcamoflage color cards to Sherwin Williams and had them mix a few gallons of hellgrau, schiffsbodenbarbe and schlickgrau for the walls:)!

Best regards,

Scott
snegron

Postby kazzer » Fri May 02, 2008 12:16 pm

Umm? Someone wanted the Revell VII?

http://www.caswellplating.com/models/rviic.html

D&E Sub-driver being installed

kazzer

PreviousNext

Return to Static Modeler