Banner Ad 1

WEN PE for Revell's 1/72 Gato

Static Submarine modelers unite!

WEN PE for Revell's 1/72 Gato

Postby RickNelson » Sun Nov 18, 2007 4:19 pm

I just received WEN's PE 7233 set for Revell's Gato. It is Fantastic! Here is the email I sent back to WEN:

I just received your PE 7233 set and all I can say is, WOW!! You folks have done a fantastic job of rendering a lot of the hardware to make an excellent model of a Gato submarine with. I can't wait to see it also in 1/144. It is terrific the options you put into the Radar set as far as early and late SJ antennas and offering the SV reflector too. Also, the Conning tower Frame work is superb. It assembles just like the real thing. I can't come up with enough accolades. I have spent a considerable amount of time reverse engineering a lot of these items for a 1/180 Gato I am building out of the Revell Lionfish kit so I know what is accurate and what is not. (I've attached some photos of my work to verify my qualifications.) Your attention to detail is the best I have seen in the aftermarket business. The references you used are the best in the industry.

It is great how you accommodated positioning the SJ radar either for or aft of the periscopes as most boats eventually were modified for aft mounted SJs. One thing that is not included and needs to be added is a 1" x 4" (1:1 scale, approx.) vertical piece for each of the Side Fillets (parts #15) and the Rear Brace (part #17). The structures when viewed from the top are "T" shaped. The 1" x4" forms the top of the "T". The bottom of the "T" is welded against the periscope tube. The hypotenuse of items #15 and #17 are straight, top to bottom. The fillet that you have at the bottom of these parts is on the outside of the 1"x 4" piece. Refer to page 24 in Floating Drydock's "Plan Book of Gato and Balao Class Submarines", upper left-hand corner. FD refers to them as "Periscope Supports". One other item that should have been included to make the set complete is also shown on page 24, the "Top Supports". The name is a bit of a misnomer as these parts actually are located at the bottom of the "Periscope Supports" as can be seen in the "Periscope Supports" view and the complete assembly view below on page 24. They act as a horizontal base-plate for the vertical supports.

Once again, thank you for some stunning work. I will make sure that the Bulletin Boards I am a member of are made aware of these fine pieces of PE. I only wish you would offer the Radar antennas in 1/192 for my project! Radar antennas are the most difficult item to fashon. The ones offered by Nautilus are not very good or accurate, I will not use them.
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Postby wolfsong » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:47 pm

do you have a web-adress for wen ?

thanks
stefan
Submariner, qualified in 1990 ,U21 Class 206

Life is Simple.. either you are qualified or you are not ! .. silent service
wolfsong

Postby RickNelson » Mon Nov 19, 2007 7:56 pm

Hi Stefan,

This URL will take you to White Ensign's Site Map which I have found to be the best way to navigate around the web site:

http://www.whiteensignmodels.com/acatal ... atalogBody

Good Luck
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Postby Scott T » Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:11 pm

WEM 1/72 Gato Class Radars & Antennae(Reference #PE 7241)
For the Revell kit.
WEM 1/72 Gato Class Stern Details & Prop Guards(Reference #PE 7242)
For the Revell kit. Contains the temporary prop guards fitted only when entering harbour that
replaced the original permanent guards (which caused too much drag and noise when submerged).
WEM 1/72 Gato Class Conning Tower Details(Reference #PE7240)
For the Revell kit. Contains parts for the stripped down periscope stand of later boats,
as featured in the kit.THIS SET WILL ALSO REQUIRE ONE LENGTH OF WEM Z 08 3.5mm BRASS TUBE.

WEM 1/72 Gato Class Submarine - The Ultimate Set(Reference #PE 7233)
Contains one each of PE 7240, 7241 & 7242. SAVE OVER 10% ON BUYING THEM INDIVIDUALLY.
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler