Banner Ad 1

Looking for a magazine article

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Looking for a magazine article

Postby modelnut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:21 pm

(Accidently posted this to the BUILDERS section. Sorry.)

I saw a magazine article a few years ago. Someone superdetailed a model of a German type XXI http://www.combatreform2.com/typeXXIuboatinterior.jpg. The sub was in drydock --- also hyperdetailed! The title of the article was titled something like "Painting a Shark!"

The article mentioned lots of painting tips on things like weathering, the "beard" and such. And a technique that entailed airbrushing over soapy water.

Does anyone remember that article? Where can I get a copy?

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:16 pm

It was first SubCommittee President Ken Hart, and you can find the "how to build" Type XXI in drydock article in (drum roll please...): The SubCommittee Report (The Official Party Organ of the SubCommittee). It was a while ago, back in the mid-1990's at least. I'd have to go back and look at which issue had that article.
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:47 am

Thanks, Tom!

If you find out which issue maybe that back issue will be available for purchase. Although . . . The SCR's of that time were mostly b&w. I definitely remember seeing this article in color. Of course it was on the newstand so it couldn't have been the SCR.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:48 pm

IIRC, there was an article in Fine Scale Modeller a few years ago on Ken's Type XXI build.

More recently, color photos of the build were posted to the Model Warships site at:
http://www.modelshipgallery.com/gallery/dio/dockyard/xxi-144-kh/kh-index.html
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler