Banner Ad 1

Pitroad submarine kits

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Pitroad submarine kits

Postby modelnut » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:13 am

Saw an article about them in the latest SCR. I am very interested :D

Can anyone here give me some feedback on Pitroad kits? Ease of clean-up and assembly? Details? Where to buy them, etc?

I am particularly interested in 350 scale kits. That is small enough to leave room for a fleet and big enough to show a bit of detail.

Not that I really need something else to spend money on . . . :roll:

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Sep 21, 2007 2:04 pm

Don't know if these are Pitoad or Seawolf/Torpedo. But I think these are the ones I am looking for: http://www.submarinestore.com/models-us.htm

I just did a Google SEARCH for "350 scale skipjack submarine".
Why didn't I think of that yesterday? :?

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:14 pm

Don't know if these are Pitoad or Seawolf/Torpedo. But I think these are the ones I am looking for: http://www.submarinestore.com/models-us.htm

Nope those are all resin kits from Yankee Modelworks. Pitroad does not make a Skipjack SSN model.

Pitroad is AKA Seawolf/Torpedo models. I have built their resin USS Halibut (three times!) and their resin USS Nautilus. Both are highly accurate. I also have their USS Grayback SSG (with Regulus II missile) and the Russian Juliett class SSG, also very nice. Some of the earlier kits, such as their Golf II SSB are not accurate, as that was issued just as the Cold War was ending, and the forward hull is all wrong.

One problem is that both the Nautilus and Halibut are now OOP. Bill Grune of Pacific Front Hobbies mentioned that if there was enough interest, he might be able to influence them to restart production. I personally need at least 5 Halibut kits to build for interested parties.

The Pitroad kits are resin kits although the resin is quite different from that in, for example, Yankee Modelworks kits. Also, white metal parts, so you need to use cyanoacrylate glue.

Here's my USS Halibut builds for the 2002 crew reunion from the Seawolf/Torpedo kits:
http://www.modelwarships.com/reviews/ships/ss/halibut/350-td/halibut.html
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:55 am

Thanks again, Tom!

:shock: Very nice!

I wouldn't mind getting a NAUTILUS in 350th myself. It would go nicely with the Jules Verne NAUTILUS I am scratchbuilding now. I want a SKIPJACK because it is the nearest cognate to Verne's fictional sub. It is nearly the same size, shape and configuration --- 70 meters X 8 meters, a round hull and single center-mounted screw.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Sep 28, 2007 1:38 pm

As for Pitroad subs, in SCR#69 on p37, there is a SKIPJACK in the picture. It's 700 scale and not 350th. A bit too small for my needs. :cry: But maybe one day . . .

Guess I will settle for a Yankee boat if I can get one.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am

modelnut wrote:As for Pitroad subs, in SCR#69 on p37, there is a SKIPJACK in the picture. It's 700 scale and not 350th. A bit too small for my needs. :cry: But maybe one day . . .

Guess I will settle for a Yankee boat if I can get one.

-Leelan

Not a Skipjack, that's a Yushio class. It has an Albacore type hull as the Skipjack. I bought those little models and are really nice. They are best when they are all together in a displaying case. Something like a 3D submarine enciclopedia.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby modelnut » Tue Oct 02, 2007 2:21 pm

Where can I find a good base for a 350 scale sub???

The sub itself will be around 20cm long and 2cm in diameter or thereabouts. My local hobby shops look to have only oval wooden bases. I want something longer. That would be appropriate for something like this: http://www.yankeemodelworks.com/35037_skipjack.htm

I don't have a wood working shop. I am hoping for something off the shelf that I can drill a couple of holes in for the brass rods.

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby Scott T » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:05 pm

You could get a 1"x2" or 1"x4" at the lumber yard (store). They
will usually cut it to length at the store if you give them the dimensions.
Then sand and stain.

Scott
Scott T
SubCommittee Member

Postby modelnut » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:21 pm

Good idea!

Wonder if I could get something like whatever wood is used to border wainscotting (?). It would be wide enough and have two rounded edges.

Once I have my sub along I will go visit Home Depot . . .

-Leelan
modelnut
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Oct 05, 2007 1:43 pm

Craft stores often sell unstained plaques with routed edges. Might be worth a look!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler