Banner Ad 1

Antenna Wire for Revell VIIC?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Antenna Wire for Revell VIIC?

Postby Warpatroller » Wed May 16, 2007 11:00 pm

I recently aquired a 1:72 scale Revell VIIC. The kit comes with black thread intended to be used for the Antenna Wiring that runs from the sail to the bow and stern of the deck. This thread seems kind of lame for that application.. What have you guys used for the wiring when you built this model?

Today, I saw some "Tiger Tail" wire used for bead crafting that has a mild braided look to it. It is probably about 24 or 26 guage. Was thinking of possibly using that..

Steve
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Postby tabledancer » Thu May 17, 2007 4:10 pm

Make sure that if you use the wire that you don`t kink it in any way,or else it will really look lame.Whats wrong with the thread at least it is within scale.If its the fuzz that you are worried about,just try the old trick of rubbing wax on the thread,cleans it rite up. :wink:
TD :wink:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby RickNelson » Thu May 17, 2007 6:03 pm

Hi Steve,

I've had great luck with a product called "EZ Line". I haven't used it on 1/72 yet but I've done other scales. You can get sample size (6') packages or reel size (100') quantities. It comes in either .003" or .006" diameters. I don't know if this looks right for 1/72. The .003" stuff would give you a scaled .216 inches. A approx. 1/4 inch antenna wire for a boat seems reasonable.

Here is the URL:

http://www.bobeshobbyhouse.com/ezl.html

Good Luck.
Rick Nelson

Qualified in Submarines 1965
SCM #2583

"D..n the pressure, Six-Zero feet!"
"Most men would rather die than think, Most of them do!" - Bertrand Russell
"Boomers hide with Pride"
RickNelson

Postby Warpatroller » Fri May 18, 2007 12:27 am

Thanks to both RickNelson and Tabledancer for the responses!

The thread that comes with the kit does look a little hairy and I plan to convert this model for RC use, so that is why I didn't want to use the thread.

I find that "EZ Line" very interesting. I like the fact that it will flex and "give" like it shows on the weblink. That seems like a very desireable trait for use on an RC boat. Would help prevent something from breaking if the antenna wire were to hit anything.

Gave a little thought to making the rear two wires going to the stern the actual RC receiver antenna...but I'd probably have to use wire that is too thick for scale to make it work well as a receiver antenna. And if they were to break off, then my boat might end up disabled in the middle of a lake.

The EZ Line may be the ticket though (for scale looks), and just keep the functional antenna wire inside the WTC.
Warpatroller
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler