Banner Ad 1

Revell 1/144 VIID - In-box preview

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mandrake » Fri May 26, 2006 6:56 pm

Just picked this up at my friendly local hobbyshop, apparently it only arrived a couple of days back.

Anyway thought you guys might be interested to see what's inside:

Apoligies for the quality of the pics, if anyone is especially interested I can take some more detailed shots tomorrow.

Overall the kits looks very nice and should hopefully go together nicely. Instructions are very well done, particularly painting wise as they allow for several different boats in a variety of schemes.

Now the VIID MineLayer is a comparatively unsual choice for Revell to choose IMHO, considering only half a dozen were ever completed. However it looks like they are leaving the option open to release an earlier VIIC model because they have removed part of the sprue (though it appears on the instructions as a part not to be used) containing a shorter mid deck section, bearing in mind the VIIDs were essentially stretched VIICs, though therefore a new hull ,amongst other details, would be required also.
Mandrake

Postby Slugejudge » Fri May 26, 2006 8:36 pm

Looks great! Have not found one in the USA, could you point me in the right direction or source for one.

Thanks, Rick
He who dies with the most toys wins!
Slugejudge

Postby Mandrake » Fri May 26, 2006 9:17 pm

Slugejudge wrote:Looks great! Have not found one in the USA, could you point me in the right direction or source for one.

Thanks, Rick

Rick,

Given that it has only just been released in Europe it could a couple of months until it reaches your side of the pond.

However if you can't wait most Western European stockist should be able to send it over to you.

HTH
Mandrake

Postby Slugejudge » Fri May 26, 2006 10:17 pm

Thanks, be patient or spoil myself???

Best Regards Rick
He who dies with the most toys wins!
Slugejudge

Postby raalst » Sat May 27, 2006 5:34 pm

mandrake, what country are you in ?
last week, my dutch dealer had not yet received it.
Regards,

Ronald van Aalst

--------------------------------------------
Just here to Learn
raalst
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mandrake » Sat May 27, 2006 6:12 pm

I'm in the UK.

They only seemed to of arrived in the UK this last week, so if they are not with your Dutch dealer by now, probably will be next week.

HTH
Mandrake

Postby hakkikt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:39 am

...and there is more.
The instructions (not the kit) include an unused deck piece for a standard deck AND: the inside of the hull and turret halves show vertical grooves exactly where the bulkheads should be. This is not shown in Mandrake's photos, and unfortunately my own VIID is too far progressed to take pictures.

Anyway, this can mean only one thing: we are going to get a VIIC from Revell in 1/144 with full interior detail.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Postby Mandrake » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:43 pm

Interesting observations, though I did acutally mention the forward decking, though perhaps not clearly!

It is my undersanting though that the VIID is a lengthed version of the VIIC and thus they would have to supply different and shortened hull. However there are some clues on the VIID kit as to where they may of incorporated this modification in to allow easy production of both. Should be interesting to see how they go about doing a VIIC!

Hoping they release the full hull VIIC first though!
Mandrake

Postby hakkikt » Tue Jun 27, 2006 5:08 pm

You are right of course, the VIID is longer than the VIIC. Maybe we get both, the guys at Revell seem to be taking their Type VIIs quite seriously... they even produced a new hull for the 1/72 VIIC/41. Looks like Germany is a big market for that.
- mobilis in mobili -
SC#1604
hakkikt

Return to Static Modeler