Banner Ad 1

Need Documentation for Permit long hulls - I'm researchng SSN-605 and need help!

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mermaid » Sat Jun 03, 2006 12:23 am

I'm at the early stages of documenting a large scale model of the SSN-605 Jack. She was a long hulled Permit class boat which was unique in that it is the only US SSN that was equipped with contra-rotating props. I have the Deep Sea Designs 1/72 scale plan of the SSN-594 Permit. Unfortunately, although the plan is of excellent quality, it does not depict the hull perforation details. Such items as MBT flood ports, cooling water suctions and discharges are shown as simple outlines. I'm sure that the Permit long hull extension was just aft of the aft escape trunk. Unfortunately, the secondary propulsion motor and the MBT 5 & 6 flood ports are also located here. I have no idea what mods were made to these features when the hull was extended. Does anyone know where I can obtain additional documentation? A copy of the SSN-605 docking plan would be a Godsend! :D

Edited By Mermaid on 1149340920
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Location: 613-1200 Talwood Court, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada. K9J 7X3

Postby expfcwintergreen » Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:28 am

Diane,
You've been posting a lot about some interesting projects. Any pics you can share with the rest of us of some of your detail work?
expfcwintergreen

Postby Mermaid » Wed Jun 07, 2006 6:44 pm

Dear Chris:
I have been asked about pictures several times. Unfortunately, I don't currently have access to a digital camera. We plan to buy one later this month. I have gradually gathered most of the goodies to build a super detailed 1/72 scale U-592 over the last few months and plan to commence the build as soon as I've fully recovered from a recent illness. I will be happy to share my pix once I have something to show for my efforts. I have also been exploring the possibility of building a larger scale RC boat. I had originally considered doing a 1/48 scale Gato or Balao. However, I realized that my heart was more into building an SSN. I settled on the USS Jack because of her uniqueness and clean design. Whether a model is a static SCALE or RC, I feel that it should be detailed as well as the possible. This is why I'm asking for the membership's help in documenting the project. :D

Edited By Mermaid on 1149720395
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:49 am

Hi Diane,
Sorry to hear about the illness, hope you are feeling better!
As far as info goes, this would be the best place to get your questions answered.

IIRC, a member of the Elite Fleet in VA Beach has built a USS JACK. He had it at Groton several years ago with one of Merriman's video systems strapped to the back.

Is your project the 1/40 scale boat posted over at R/C Groups? Gonna be a big one, I hope you have plenty of space to display it! :)

Hopefully, you'll be able to pick up a digital camera soon. I, for one, am always looking to pick up ideas from other modellers on detail work. Actually... I think most photo places can put your film pics on disc or post to a web site when you have them developed. This may be a good way to bridge the gap. Just a thought.....
expfcwintergreen

Postby Mermaid » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:16 pm

Thanks expfcwintergreen. As a matter of fact, you are right in that I have mentioned the USS Jack project in the RC subs section. At 1/40 scale, she will be about 89.1" x 9.5" with a dived displacement of 146 lbs (lbs of fresh water displaced if she were a dry hull boat)
Actually, I didn't want to mention it cause I think that most of you would find such a project too ambitious. Either she gets built or I fall flat on my face! Time will tell. I've contacted Steve Reichmuth hoping that he might be able to help with further documentation. What would be the best way to contact IIRC? :D
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:44 pm

Hi Diane,
IIRC translates into "If I Recall Correctly".

Can't remember exactly who it was, I'll look it up though.

Don't be afraid of announcing big projects, I'm sure you'll do fine. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you balk once at a 1/96 LA because it was too big for your two bedroom apartment?

Maybe I'm mistaken. Don't forget the pics!
expfcwintergreen

Postby Mermaid » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:19 pm

Well, in an effort to find IIRC and to broaden my horizons, I've just joined the Elite Fleet. You never know what tidbits you'll find! You are absolutely right regarding the 1/96 LA. At the time, I was thinking in terms of a static scale model. I felt that a 45" display model would be uncomfortably large. My type VIIC is a bit over 36" and is about as large as I want to go with a static model. An RC model is something else entirely. At 1/40 scale, the detailing potential is fantastic. Apart from looking like a sub, it will actually function (partly due to its large size) like one as well!! As a matter of fact, there is a very solid seven foot top shelf above my computer that will be just perfect. :laugh:
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:57 am

Ummm.... Diane,
Once again, IIRC is not a person, it is an abbreviation for If (I), I (I), Recall ®, Correctly ©. IF I Recall Correctly (IIRC).

Have you considered using SubPirates as another source? Lotsa detail oriented folk there as well. Merriman has his own section over there, highly educational.

Since you've technically announced the project, you should consider starting a build thread. Planning stage is a great place to start. How you will be making the hull, propulsion and ballast system plans, other functionality (assuming you will be incorporating working scopes, torps and possibly a towed array as well...). Bounce your ideas off those who may have "been there and done that". I would love to see this project kick off!

Chris
expfcwintergreen

Postby Mermaid » Fri Jun 09, 2006 1:15 pm

Dear Chris:

A build thread is definitely a good idea and I'll start one when I get further into the project. Currently, I'm just doing some groundwork trying to block the model out within my own mind. The project is one that I would like to tackle in the future. Meanwhile, I still have my Type VIIC to build! As you know, one major stumbling block is my lack of documentation above and beyond my Sharp 1/72 Permit plan. Specifically, some prints depicting a long hulled Permit if not USS Jack. Without this, I cannot begin drawing a set of full scale (1/40) plans. The hull contour aft of the aft escape trunk is still uncertain as are the relative locations of the hull details in this area.
If IIRC is not a person, what is it? You had mentioned some affiliation with the Elite Fleet. How may I get in touch with them?
:D

Edited By Mermaid on 1149873486
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby Sub culture » Fri Jun 09, 2006 2:29 pm

Are you related to Michael hims, by any chance?

Andy
'Why are you staring at an empty pond?'

Want to dive your boat in crystal clear water? Then you had better Dive-in- http://www.diveintomodelsubmarines.co.uk
Sub culture
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mermaid » Fri Jun 09, 2006 3:19 pm

No. Who is Michael Hims??? ???
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby expfcwintergreen » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:36 pm

Let's try this again, I'll type slowly...
If (starts with I)
I (also starts with I)
Recall (starts with R)
Correctly (starts with yup... you guessed it... C!)

Put 'em all together and you get?
I.I.R.C.

Come to SubPirates, you'll be with friends there. We'll introduce you to Himzy and Miniz33....
expfcwintergreen

Postby U812 » Fri Jun 09, 2006 4:57 pm

Sub culture wrote:Are you related to Michael hims, by any chance?

Andy

HA!!!!

U812
U812

Postby Mermaid » Sun Jun 11, 2006 5:53 pm

Ok! OK! Ya got me Chris! So what if I tend to be a bit over serious? Besides, with all the different monikers out there, it could have been an assumed name just like "expfcwintergreen" or "Mermaid" for that matter. Would someone fill me in on "Michael himms"? :laugh:
Mermaid
SubCommittee Member

Postby JWLaRue » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:45 pm

....well, since you asked.....

Michael is someone who has gained something of a reputation for asking lots of questions and offering advice on how to build R/C subs....yet to our/my knowledge has never built anything.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Static Modeler