Banner Ad 1

Revell Type VIIc/41 - got mine yesterday

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby sam reichart » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:19 pm

Revell's 1/72 late war VIIc is out. So far, I'm liking what I see.

Aftermarket should heat up with accessories for this model as well. Plenty to detail.

Squadron shipped it to me Tuesday and I had it yesterday.

Sorry for the "Cliff Notes" posting, but I haven't had a bunch of time to dig into it yet.
cheers,
Sam
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Sat Mar 25, 2006 12:40 pm

Can't wait to hear more Sam!
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby sam reichart » Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:23 pm

I wanted to add some thoughts about this kit. I figure anyone that wants to R/C this version will do exactly the same as what they did for the first version.

OK. Let's see...
Paint and decals for at least 8 boats. Interestingly, 3 or 4 boats have the yellow training stripe on the tower, and ended up being sunk in "Operation Deadlight". U-995 in 2 variations can be built.

UZO is still short and off center. I'll double check references; perhaps on the VIIc/41 it's supposed to be...

The deck is depicted as the later war wooden slat deck- both the main deck and the CT decks. Having a wood or photoetch would definitely add to the model, as there are no slots opened in the plastic.

Detail for the guns is OK; turned brass would help here, as would turned scopes. Also the armor shields are a bit thick, and would be much more scale in photoetch. The various antenna would be much nicer if they were done in photoetch as well. (mattress (hohtentweil (spelling?)) antenna and "bali", (I think...)

Nice detail on the tower itself. Railings are not oversized at first glance, and none of mine arrived damaged. In fact, Revell has added some foam padding to the inside of the kit box to protect the long hull halves during shipping. Both early Type VIIs I bought had damage to the bows; nothing broken in this kit.

The limber holes and drain slots seem to be the same generic placement and style as the first version.

Deck gun is omitted, of course. Interestingly, the magnetic compass housing is still attached to the front of the tower, instead of the separate rectangular box. Checkeing reference material here would dictate whether that's correct or not.

Anchor is still a bit too far over the bow planes.

Nice details on the life raft cannisters and ready ammo containers. The model includes a pretty detailed schnorkel well, and the schnorkel mast can be raised and lowered. (I haven't had a chance to examine the schnorkel head to see how detailed it is).

All in all, if one were to build this Out Of Box, it would be a quick build, and would make an impressive model. I'll probably wait for some aftermarket stuff to come out before I start on it. Overall, I think Revell has hit another home run with this kit. I'm looking forward to seeing the Gato in this scale, like lots of you. But if you haven't gotten the first version of the Type VII, then this later version would be a great model to own.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jess » Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 am

WEM's photo etch for the first u-boat has the "box spring" antennas as well as its housing plus other antennas that could be used for this model.

It will definitely be worth the wait to see what other aftermarket kits become available.

Take Care,

Jess
Jess

Return to Static Modeler