Banner Ad 1

Color Question on Hotel Class / K-19

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Tracy White » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:57 am

I've got my Zvezda 1/350th K-19 almost assembled (watch those upper deck pieces; mine needed some sanding to get them to fit.... seemed a bit long) and the mind wanders to paint. The instructions call out for Insignia red below the nominal waterline, gunship gray for the vertical surfaces, and medium gray (model master #1721) for the deck. Is this right? I can't find any pictures of a hotel in drydock that's not computer generated or not obscured and the two grays seem a bit light in tone to me.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:38 pm

The only photo I have of a Hotel in drydock is in black & white. It's certain that later Russian boats had color schemes similar to some US submarines; black 1/2 way up the hull and red halfway down, but earlier color schemes (60's-70's) are problematic in terms of finding solid information.

I have photos of models of the Hotel (done in Russia) that show the model as a black upper and a very, very, dark brownish red below the waterline. The Hotel was not exactly one of the greatest successes of the Soviet system, so photos and information can be hard to come by. I plan to do mine as light grey over dark grey.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tracy White » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:14 pm

OK, thanks. I will probably just do black and brown/red as that's sort of the paradigm for a sub.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Feb 13, 2006 3:53 pm

The Polar Bear Model of a Hotel shows the paint scheme Tom described. Another interesting color alternative could be a green hull. Green was used as antifouling paint (containing chromates?) in several soviet subs. Nevertheless I don't have color references on the Hotel (aside from the PB model ones)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:27 am

Another option could be the one suggested by Tom: a grey lower hull. As far as I can tell by photos and actual submarines in dry dock I've seen fouling turns the lower hull color beneath the waterline into a brownish-light or medium grey if the sub was in the water long enough. This can save you from guessing the color of the actual paint used in the shipyard.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tracy White » Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:20 pm

While the fouling is true, when I've seen it there's still a reddish/brownish tone to the area.

I did some more digging and it really looks to me like K-19 had both schemes during her time. Looking over http://www.submarine.id.ru/thumbs/658/index.shtml, I think this picture looks too dark in tone (especially compared to the silvery sonar fairings) to be gray, even allowing for how a wet surface darkens. But this photo shows a scheme that is clearly gray with a darker deck.
Tracy White
Researcher@Large
Tracy White

Return to Static Modeler