Banner Ad 1

Attn: RoG 1:72 U-Boot builders - Interior Detail update - Important

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mkeatingss » Sat Dec 24, 2005 3:43 pm

I just got the latest CMK release.
This kit is labeled "U-Boot VII C, Officer's Ward rooms a& Galley", the Americans refer to it as the "Forward Battery".
However, the picture on the box, the directions, and the parts, all agree, it's actually the "After Battery". The AotS calls it the "Engineers and Senior Rates Mess".
The only problem, that I can see, would be, if you cut the opening in the hull before receiving the kit, it'll be in the wrong place. The instructions show the correct place.
On the positive side, this error could only occur if CMK is working on the "Forward Battery". Hooorah!! And that's how I've chosen to interpret the error.
Something else points to this conclusion, as well. The part number.
The Command Section (Control Room) is Number 72001. the Torpedo Room (Tubes Forward) is Number 72002 and the Engine Room is Number 72003. This kit is Number 72005. Where's Number 72004??? It's gotta be the Forward battery, or the After Torpedo Room!!! I have to bet on the Forward Battery, though. It's more likely.
Mike K.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby rokket » Tue Dec 27, 2005 1:55 am

Hi Mike,

Kind of a dangerous mfg error! Your logic sounds good tho. Anxious to see pix of your stuff in the hull, it's going to add soooo much to the model.
AMP - accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
rokket

Postby tabledancer » Tue Dec 27, 2005 4:57 am

Mike,
I see you went and did it,huh.I thought Santy Claus was bringing that. :p
TD :;):
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Mkeatingss » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:07 am

Yeah, Tabledancer, I doed it. It arrived Saturday. Wife grabbed it and said "This is your Christmas present. You can have it tomorrow."
It only took 20 minutes, of groveling and begging, to talk her out of it.

And, yeah, Rokket, the logic sounded good, but it was flawed. 004 and 006 are exterior detail sets, And 007 is the "Torpedo loading winch", haven't got a clue to what that might be. I thought the Germans, like the US and UK used the forward and after capstans for torpedo loading. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
004 is conning tower details, an 88, some figures and forward bollards. I'm still waiting to see what 006 is.
Mike K.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby sam reichart » Tue Dec 27, 2005 10:33 am

Mkeatingss wrote:, And 007 is the "Torpedo loading winch", haven't got a clue to what that might be. I thought the Germans, like the US and UK used the forward and after capstans for torpedo loading. So I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Mike K.

there's a winch/"crane" set up that was used to help lower the "eels" that I've seen in books in photos, and also on some model builds/dioramas. I'll bet that's what that set is.
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby rokket » Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:13 am

Is that a sort of bipod support like a gun lock/support? I've seen something sim in pix somewhere too...
AMP - accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
rokket

Return to Static Modeler