Banner Ad 1

Revell u212A - Photos of the finished model

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:41 am

Interesting german site. Check the new 212 sub.
http://www.moduni.de/product_info.php/products_id/8105019

The model looks very nice and accurate (not the propeller I'm afraid! They copied the false prop showed when launching the sub)

Edited By Gerwalk on 1126618994
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby sam reichart » Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:55 am

I wonder why their promo model wasn't painted like the photo?

what's a correct prop configuration for this class?

Edited By sam reichart on 1126619848
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:01 am

sam reichart wrote:I wonder why their promo model wasn't painted like the photo?

what's a correct prop configuration for this class?

I don't like how they painted this model either. There are photos of a new 212 in HDW site that looks brownish rather than grey/black in color. The 206s currently in service sport a brown overall color.

As for the real life prop: I don't know! But I guess a more curved blade would be more accurate. Those hard edges (I mean the almost square like corner of the blades) are prone to produce noise IMHO.

I've posted in the General forum a photo of the launching of a 212 showing what I think is a phony prop (or at least an elaborate cardboard cover) I'm waiting for the reply of the experts (aka Dolphin)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby AtomicTuna » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:09 pm

Here is also the one:

212A galery
AtomicTuna

Postby Mylo » Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:22 pm

Tuna,

Haven't seen you around the SHIII forum in a while. Any new static models to display. I love'm. Would be interested in hearing your comments (if they're good ...hee hee) on my type IXc 1:400 that I posted.

Mylo.
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby TMSmalley » Thu Sep 15, 2005 7:21 am

Here is a shot of Johann Sauer's 212 on the roof of his car at this year's SubRegatta.

Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:10 am

AtomicTuna wrote:Here is also the one:

212A galery

Beautiful model! Congratulations. Any comments on the construction (tips?)

Thanks! :)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby AtomicTuna » Sun Sep 18, 2005 6:26 pm

Gerwalk,

this new 212 is really nice kit.
By the quality it is very similar to 206. All parts fit perfectly. Almost no sanding. the model could be build as underwater or surfaced. the same way as 206. the only things I have little trouble were ruders intersections.

The propeller was already discussed. It looks too primitive, compare to the rest of the kit.

Decals are superb. easy to apply and very detailed.

this red strips on masts been used for sea trials and not applied to boats already in service, as far as I understood. But with this strips model looks more intertaining to me.

The standard simple base included in the kit. I made my own instead.

If kit would be in 1:72 - perfect for R/C.
AtomicTuna

Postby Wayne Frey » Sun Sep 18, 2005 9:56 pm

Is this hull a candidate for a Welch-sized conversion?
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby aeroengineer1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 5:07 pm

I do not think that the hull is big enough for any standard WTC. I am going to try and rc this guy some time after Christmas. The max outer diameter by my rough estimates should be around 1.9" I think that 1.5"pvc would fit inside and then using a custom air bladder on top you could make a static diver. I already have the speed controller, the motor, and the airpumps. Now I just need time. If you have any thoughts that you would like to mull over let me know. I ma just in the thinking stage. I do not think that it should be all too hard, but challenging. I am nost concerned about the tail connections, but after the kit becomes available here in the states, I will get one and see what needs to be done to do it. I want to have a small modern sub o be able to take around with me when I travel. I think that this will make a good candidate.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Art Broder » Fri Sep 23, 2005 8:43 pm

Adam,
When you are ready, you might be able to use an infant bladder for a small model. It is smaller than the child bladder. I used two infant bladders in the smaller Teskey Flying Sub I just built. I put one on each side of the central WTC, since there was no room above the WTC for a child size bladder. I just changed to a 12V system, and had no problem raising it up from the bottom of my 6 ft. deep pool today. My Webpage

Edited By Art Broder on 1127522824
Art Broder
SubCommittee#0060
RCABS- It's easy to control your own bladder!
Art Broder
SubCommittee Member

Postby aeroengineer1 » Fri Sep 23, 2005 10:49 pm

Art,

That sounds like a good idea. I am going to try a custom bladder for my Seawolf that I am converting right now, and if that works I will make a costum bladder for the U212. I was also thinking of using a 2 chamber system to get the max pressure differential up to what the bigger pump can provide. The first pump will take the static pressure and create about a 6psi differential in the second compartment, and then the next will pull a further 6psi. I am sure that there will be losste, and then again making it all fit will be a challenge,but I think that it can be done. I need to run two pumps any ways (better than putting a resistor for a voltage divider in the curcuit that does nothing) to be able to not give too much voltage to a single pump.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby aeroengineer1 » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:44 pm

I just got my kit a few days ago. I have pics on rcgroups. Here is the link

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=439087

The only complaint that I have is that the texture on one of the hull halves is inconsistant. It goes from smooth to a satin finish. Other than that, the model seems to be nicely detailed.

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:52 pm

Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler