Banner Ad 1

I am looking for your feedback

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Yankee Modelworks » Sun Dec 04, 2005 10:16 am

I just want all of you to know that I am looking for your feedback on all our submarine kits.

I want to work harder to correct some of the problems with our kits, improve existing kits, and ask what you would like to see in the future.

Our next Submarine project is the 1:350th GUPPY III USS Clagmore. The master is done as are the instructions, We are waiting for the photo-etch to arrive so we can release the kit. Right now it looks like a release for the beginning of January 2006. The rest of the GUPPYs will be released shortly thereafter.

Ok gang, fire away!

John Sheridan
Yankee Modelworks
Yankee Modelworks

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sun Dec 04, 2005 3:30 pm

OK, so I'll post here to see if we can get some replies going for John. First, I greatly admire and appreciate John's willingness to take input; it speaks volumes about the high level of craftsmanship he seeks for his kits.

So here's a few to start off:

One of our members (Wayne Frey) has succeeded in getting a lot of material on fUSSR submarines, such as the Alfa. You may want to check with him to look into updating the Alfa and other Soviet kits based on the photos & diagrams he has obtained. He had some great Alfa material in the SCR last year, and the new accurate drawings show features and design details, such as the stern shape, that are not captured in any Alfa kits at present.

One minor area of detailing would be to add ballast tank flood grates to the bottoms of kit hulls. I know at least one of the YKM SSBN kits has them, and they add quite a bit to the kit. Also maybe seawater intakes and other below the waterline outfittings (anchor, SPM hatch).

I know we spoke at one point about the Thresher (Permit) kit & reducing the sail size to represent the earlier small sail Permits.

Could you add a J series propeller to the photoetch sheet? Most early SSNs and SSBNs had the J, and not the more skewed back form. I have J series photos, if you need them. Also hand grabs on the photoetch, as many early SSNs & SSBNs had hand grabs on the sails or hull sides.

Anyone else have some ideas? I have several kits I'd like to see, but I'll list only one for now: SSN 575, USS Seawolf.

Thanks John!

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1133738227
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Yankee Modelworks » Mon Dec 05, 2005 7:15 am

Yes Tom, I am aware of the new data on Russian Subs; in fact I have several books I bought from Russia that show all the new info. I have already put the ALFA in the schedule to be upgraded in 2006.

I am still puzzeld by the small sail on the permits comment. I have one in front of me and the sail is considerably smaller than the Sturgeon.

As for the J series prop. Send me photos and I will revise the photo-etch set.

John Sheridan
Yankee Modelworks
Yankee Modelworks

Postby Mkeatingss » Mon Dec 05, 2005 12:14 pm

Hi John,
I've got your 1:72 U-Boat Tank tops. Really nice. For me, they're a real MUST HAVE!!
Any chance of a similar kit for the Gato? I've got a few drawings of the induction and snorkel piping, and can provide some additional info on the under deck equipment.

Mike K.
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby tabledancer » Mon Dec 05, 2005 6:04 pm

Hi John,
Any chance in doing a modification to your 1/72 U-Boat pressure hull tops for a SCHNORKLE.As the new boat VIIC/41 will probably have one and there allready is a new c/t to make a VIIC/41 OUT OF THE Revell boat..
TD ???
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Postby Tom Dougherty » Mon Dec 05, 2005 10:41 pm

John,
Sent you Permit plans & photo of my kit sail for comparison. I also sent you several J-series propeller photos.

Tom
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Yankee Modelworks » Tue Dec 06, 2005 12:16 am

Lets see......

Type VII upgrade for Snorkel ? We are waiting to see what Revell is going to release for next Type VII variant which should be fairly soon.

Gato parts ? We have plans for that....hoo boy! do we have plans :D
Yankee Modelworks

Postby tabledancer » Tue Dec 06, 2005 2:20 am

Very good,keep on keepin on. :D
TD :cool:
Don`t forget,its going to be dark tonite.
tabledancer

Return to Static Modeler