Banner Ad 1

Revell 1/72 Gato!!!

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mkeatingss » Thu Oct 13, 2005 12:07 pm

I got a call from Revell, yesterday. We talked about the anchor placement.
The gentleman mentioned that some boats had anchors on both sides. Which, I believe, was true. But I pointed out that there were very few of this type layout.
Being old and stupid that having anchors on both sides, while unusual on Fleet Boats, would be an excellent idea for the model.
If you want to, do one of the rare two anchor boats, you're home free. If not, a little filler fixes the problem. Even at 1:72 it's not that large an area to fill in. And, if Revell wanted to really spoil us, they could cast a small, optional, insert, to fill the unwanted anchor well.
I, also, recommended this site as a reference source. (But I suspect that I wasn't the first) So, hopefully, this will get back to him.
Mike
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby PaulC » Thu Oct 13, 2005 1:18 pm

Many early Gatos were built with both anchor wells but had one of them closed off with a plate prior to commissioning.

The first batch of Mare Island boats had this (Whale, Wahoo, Trigger & Silversides). The port was closed -- this can be seen today on Silversides.
Warm regards,

Paul Crozier
<><
PaulC
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mkeatingss » Sun Oct 16, 2005 4:08 pm

Paul's dead on, none went to war with two anchors, that I know of. But I remember seeing a bow on photo of a Gato with two anchors, many years ago, and I don't know what boat, or where. But it was, probably, in the mid forties.
As for the Revell model, it'd be a lot easier to block off an unwanted anchor, than block off the one and then create the one you want.

On the other hand, for the nut cases like me, that want to do the big Revell as a Guppy, I've got drawings that might help.
They only provide a frame work, you'll have to put skin on it, and any detail is up to you, but it's a start.
They're in 1:72 scale and I can scan them and email them.
I have late model EB, Portsmouth and North Atlantic sails. If you want Migraine or Guppy III sails you'll have to modify them yourself.
If anyone is interested, just email me, and I'll scan and send. No charge.

Mike K.
Mkeatingss

Postby Stoene » Sun Oct 16, 2005 6:53 pm

Does this website have the ability to create a pole on how many 1:72 Gatos we would by. You know, select here for 1, here for 2, and so on. Then as more people take the poll (fixed so can only take it once) we give Revel an estimate on how many each of us would buy if the model isn't a clinker. Might help get this product out for us.

p.s. I just bought my second Type VII at one of those big box "Hobby Lobby" stores. They are more art'sy fart'sy than model hobby but they do have 1/2 off sales on their platic models on occasion $38.00 after tax and "NO Shipping" lol
Stoene

Postby sam reichart » Sun Oct 23, 2005 12:28 pm

According to a posting on the FineScale site this morning, Revell announced at the I-Hobby show today that they will release a 1/72 Gato at the end of 2006. It will be approx 52 inches long, and retail for approximately $100. If anyone has any information to add, please post. If it's to the contrary, don't flame, inform...
what were once vices are now habits
sam reichart
SubCommittee Member

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sun Oct 23, 2005 9:22 pm

The kit number will be RMX85-0384 with manufacturer's suggested retail price of $98.95 and estimated date of 10/31/2006.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jess » Mon Oct 24, 2005 11:11 am

Geeez! I hope it doesn't increase in price. I remember buying my first RoG 1/72 uboat for a regular price of just $40. A few months later the price almost doubled in price.

I might have to wait for a 50% off, Hobby Lobby sale.

Jess
Jess

Postby TennesseeJim » Mon Oct 24, 2005 4:49 pm

FYI -

Watch the Hobby Lobby newspaper adds. Last weekend, the local store had a coupon for 40% off any 1 item. I'm told they have these coupons fairly frequently.

- Jim
TennesseeJim
SubCommittee Member

Postby jaschwink » Mon Oct 24, 2005 5:58 pm

Having done a lot of research work on modeling a fleet boat, it is true that a specific boat and a specific time period are essential to building an accurate model. From Revell's point of view, I would think that they would like to provide a boat that reflects a fair number of close boats to their model.

Case in point -- Engel's Gato is indeed a model of the USS Gato, at a point in time. Since it was built at EB, I figured that it would follow the standard EB limber hole pattern. Well, Engel chose to model the Gato after it had been modified following a rebuild, and ended up with all sorts of additional limber holes cut into the hull to enable the boat to dive faster. A few other early Gatos had the additional holes, but MOST EB products had the fewer big holes toward the bow and nothing further aft. I sure wish Engel had chose a more representative EB pattern.

I hope that's where Revell is going, as each boat os a wealth of individual details. Since I modeled the USS Silversides, just about every deatil on the Engel boat was wrong. But I reworked the deatils to make it a fair model of the real thing. Silversides was a Mare Island product, and I have seen photos with the anchor on either port or starboard depending on the boat, even though MI boats were a Portsmouth plan follow. Silversides has the anchor to starboard, and a plate on the port side.

Now a really exciting variation are the steel plate decks. I hope Revell doesn't try some screwball variant on that one....

Whatever the case, one of the models will eventually grace my collection.

jaschwink
jaschwink

Postby Turbobearcat » Tue Oct 25, 2005 12:21 pm

Stoene wrote:Does this website have the ability to create a pole on how many 1:72 Gatos we would by. You know, select here for 1, here for 2, and so on. Then as more people take the poll (fixed so can only take it once) we give Revel an estimate on how many each of us would buy if the model isn't a clinker. Might help get this product out for us.

p.s. I just bought my second Type VII at one of those big box "Hobby Lobby" stores. They are more art'sy fart'sy than model hobby but they do have 1/2 off sales on their platic models on occasion $38.00 after tax and "NO Shipping" lol

That is so true about the 50% PLASTIC model kits...

I snagged a Revell Schnellboot S-100 boat for $10.00!!!!!

check out other places and see how much they run before shipping... I think around $31.00!

Hobby Lobby is my new friend... :-)

Mark
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby rokket » Sat Oct 29, 2005 8:55 am

As many have heard, the rumor is true, Revell is working on a 1:72 Gato.

I've just set-up a forum for the Gato, so that people can share info and research and tips to prepare for the launch:

http://p104.ezboard.com/brevellgatosub

Obviously there will be a lot of talk here and at Finescale and Armorama and other forums, but we have an opportunity to pour all we know into one place to make it easy. Hope to see you all there.

Good hunting,

Rokket
AMP - accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
rokket

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:16 am

I've just set-up a forum for the Gato, so that people can share info and research and tips to prepare for the launch.

Obviously there will be a lot of talk here and at Finescale and Armorama and other forums, but we have an opportunity to pour all we know into one place to make it easy. Hope to see you all there.

Actually, We were hoping to see you all HERE. This site already has an enormous concentration of fleet sub knowledge, both model-wise and folks who served on them.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby rokket » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:31 am

That's true and it's a great site. But then Armorama, and Finescale a great sites too. Probbaly no one will bother to stop by. But I was hoping, wherever, there could be one sit exclusively dedictaed to the Gato alone.
AMP - accurate Model Parts
http://amp.rokket.biz
rokket

Postby georget » Sat Oct 29, 2005 10:26 am

Hi Rokket, that is a great idea one place for a forum. Hmm, let me think a multi-model site or a submarine based forum. You figure it out. I know those other site are good, but this is THE best for such a topic. Just my two cents.
George :D
georget

Postby Mkeatingss » Sat Oct 29, 2005 3:11 pm

Here's a great site for Gato info. Many of us already know Matthias, but for the newbies it's a must visit.

http://www.gato-submarines.com/

Mike
Mkeatingss

PreviousNext

Return to Static Modeler