Banner Ad 1

Gato class color scheme? please advice

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Seawolf » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:14 am

hi guys,
anyone have the info about Gato Class color scheme?
what's the color for the portion above water line? the underwater hull?

I'm aware that a boat color may differ one another, but what's the color in general? need the info to build Gato Model of 1/700. thanks guys.
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby chips » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:44 pm

Color scheme depends on the year. Here is a link for WWII color measures. During the war, the GATO's and BALAO's were painted in one of the following schemes.
Measure 9 - Black vertical surfaces, horizontal surfaces are Dark Gray 5-D. The underwater body is painted with current issue of anti-fouling paint (could be black or red).
Measure 10 - Entire sub above the water line is painted Ocean Gray, 5-O. There shall be no boot topping. The underwater body is painted with current issue of anti-fouling paint.
Measure 32/3SS-B and 32/9SS-B - Paint all exposed vertical surfaces a pattern of: Light Gray 5-L; Ocean Gray 5-O; and Black. Paint all decks and horizontal surfaces a pattern of: Deck Blue, 20-B; and Ocean Gray 5-O. The underwater body is painted with current issue of anti-fouling paint. The difference between 32/3SS-B and 32/9SS-B is the location of the Light Gray, Ocean Gray and Black.

After the war, the class was generally painted black.

Edited By chips on 1129952870
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:32 am

Chips, thank you very much for your information really appreciate it.

regarding measure 32 - I presume the pattern is randomized but have to contains all the paint scheme of: Light Gray 5-L; Ocean Gray 5-O; and Black for Vertical?

br
Seawolf

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:02 pm

regarding measure 32 - I presume the pattern is randomized but have to contains all the paint scheme of: Light Gray 5-L; Ocean Gray 5-O; and Black for Vertical?

Uhh, no. Light gray is for the vertical surfaces above waterline starting at the bow. It blends to darker heading back & then into black at the stern. The conning tower fairwater is light gray. During the war, the pre-war "red lead" was redone as black. You can get an idea of the paint scheme form this link to my Blenny model.
USS Blenny SS-324 fleet sub model
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby chips » Wed Oct 26, 2005 12:31 pm

The pattern was not random, but specific. This link has some pictures of the WWII paint schemes - http://www.shipcamouflage.com/submarines.htm .
The Measure 32/3-SS scheme is: Light gray was used on the conning tower and the vertical surfaces of the hull forward of the conning tower. Ocean gray on the vertical hull aft of the conning tower. The black on the vertical parts of the hull starts roughly at the aft engine exhausts. The COD appears to be painted in Measure 32/3-SS, the area aft of the gangway is a darker gray.

The Measure 33/9-SS scheme is similar; but there is no use of Ocean Gray. The light gray extends all the way to the engine exhausts; Black is used aft of the exhausts. The
COBIA appears in the 33/9-SS scheme.
Bob Gesking
SC# 1575
KC8WPF
chips
SubCommittee Member

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:54 pm

Matt Ahrens in Germany has a nice bunch of US Fleetboat photos posted at [url=http://www.schiffsbilderarchiv.de/gatosubs]Gato Subs
[/url] http://www.schiffsbilderarchiv.de/gatosubs
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Boss subfixer » Wed Oct 26, 2005 4:59 pm

Tim!
Thanks for that link. I found that one a long time ago and lost it. I've been trying to find it ever since.
Don Evans
SCM# 2733

Put your heart into it, well done is better than well said... Ben Franklin
Boss subfixer

Postby TMSmalley » Wed Oct 26, 2005 5:06 pm

I had lost it too, but I stumbled on Matt's email address the other day and contacted him. He said he is eventually going to move it to a better URL, but for now, he says this one works fine.
Tim
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Oct 27, 2005 9:41 am

Tom Dougherty wrote: During the war, the pre-war "red lead" was redone as black. You can get an idea of the paint scheme form this link to my Blenny model.
USS Blenny SS-324 fleet sub model

So: no red hulls during the war?
What happened after the war with the fleet boats lower hulls: Did they returned to red? I have some B&W photos of Balaos in dry dock during the late 50s showing what seems to be a red hull and a black waterline.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Oct 27, 2005 1:27 pm

So: no red hulls during the war?
What happened after the war with the fleet boats lower hulls: Did they returned to red? I have some B&W photos of Balaos in dry dock during the late 50s showing what seems to be a red hull and a black waterline.

Yes, the red lead came back into use in the 1950's, although some boats still got black below the waterline. I think it partly was based on whatever color was available to the shipyard. I have pictures of Nautilus (SSN-571) in the late 1950's with bright red below the waterline, and some color photos of Guppy fleet boast, also red.

When the Navy discovered how visible the submarines were from the air when submerged in clear, tropical waters during WWII , they payed a lot more attention to paint jobs. Aircraft attack was a big concern, and a bright red side & bottom, even if only visible from the certain angles, was out.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Seawolf » Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:01 pm

guys, again thank you very much for the info - will use it to build the proper Gato :)
Seawolf

Return to Static Modeler