Banner Ad 1

Taking digital photos

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mylo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 5:53 pm

Hey all,

I've just recently done a "photo shoot" of my type IXc.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S100 2.1Mp digi cam.

The problem I have been running into is getting the subject (the sub) in focus. I have been depressing the little "flower" symbol on the cam that is supposed to be for close up shots but I still can't get the darn thing in focus clearly. Short of that, I don't know what to do as the cam is all auto. I wish they made these things so that you could focus them manually. Is there a way ?

I use this cam simply for the convenience.

Thanks

Myles.
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Turbobearcat » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:29 pm

Mylo wrote:Hey all,

I've just recently done a "photo shoot" of my type IXc.

I am using a Canon PowerShot S100 2.1Mp digi cam.

The problem I have been running into is getting the subject (the sub) in focus. I have been depressing the little "flower" symbol on the cam that is supposed to be for close up shots but I still can't get the darn thing in focus clearly. Short of that, I don't know what to do as the cam is all auto. I wish they made these things so that you could focus them manually. Is there a way ?

I use this cam simply for the convenience.

Thanks

Myles.

I own a Kodak Easyshare CX6445 4.0 meg pix

Try the auto function and back up just alittle bit, use your zoom
slightly and that might land you the results your searching for..

36 inches max..
"Prepare for ramming speed!"
Turbobearcat

Postby Mylo » Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:46 pm

I'll try backing up a little and use zoom. (The zoom is lens and not digital which should be better).

I'm just getting into photographing my models and I can see wanting equipment that allows me to take real close up shots. Has to be digital, again, for the convenience as I don't have a dark room or know how to develop film. ....never mind posting to the web.

Myles.
"I don't have anything else planned for this afternoon." - Lt. Col J.O.E. Vandeleur

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Tom Dougherty » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:05 pm

This is not great advice for you right now, but....before buying, I went to a camera shop and tested several digital cameras specifically for the ability to shoot closeups. I settled on a Canon PowerShot S1. I can routinely get within 4-5 inches of my models and get crisp shots with excellent resolution. Canon has done an outstanding job with their in-camera image processing algorithms, and I get extremely balanced and detailed images.

It runs under $300.
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mylo » Sat Sep 10, 2005 3:39 pm

Tom,

That's what I need, something I can get inches away from. How much different is the PowerShot S1 from my PowerShot S100 ??

I've had my S100 since digital cameras first came out several years ago. I'm not above "upgrading" to something that is going to suit my needs.

Myles.

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:31 am

Tom: that info is very valuable! I was looking for a camera for my work with macro capabilities and that one is more than right for the money!!

THANKS
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby SteveUK » Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:33 am

Myles, if you haven't already gone out and bought a new camera.. I would suggest this -

place a largish piece of card immediately in front of your model sub (it will help the auto focus), depress the camera botton half way and hold it there - it should make the camera focus on that distance and it should hold that focus locked while it is half depressed. So you can remove the card now and push the camera button the rest of the way in to take the photo. It is best if the camera is held staedy in that position while you lock down the focus and remove the card. I would advise getting one of the little tabletop tripods. Holding the camera still is always good, especially when light levels are not brilliant.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Mylo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:13 am

Steve,

That's a good approach. I'm going to try that next time.

In my original photos that I took of my type IXc, I had a sky backdrop that had clouds on it. The clouds in the photo were what the cam was focusing on so I replaced that with just a plain blue backdrop hoping that the cam would pick up on the sub.

When you say "place a card in front" do you simply mean holding a piece of card stock in front of the photo subject, depress halfway (cam does it's focus thing), take the card away, take the shot ? I wonder why the cam would focus on the card but not the sub ?

In any case, I will try that because, I still haven't bought another cam and am trying to make do.

Myles.

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby SteveUK » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:25 am

Yes that's what I mean. I think the camera finds it easier to focus on a big flat area because there's no mistaking what you are aiming it at. A good solid signal bounces back for the focus sensor. When you are pointing at a small object like your sub I think the camera passes it by and instead focuses on the sky backdrop because the sub is too small for it to recognise. Just my theory, but I found it helps me.

If you have a macro setting (the little flower symbol) it should let you get quite close (say 3 inches) to the model and still be able to focus. That way you dont need the piece of card because your model will fill the frame. You may have to experiment to find your closest possible focal distance.

Hope this helps.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:42 pm

It's also useful if the camera has some indication in the viewfinder as to where the autofocus mechanism is pointed at. Think of it as the 'sights' that allow you to get the autofocus to do its job where you want it to.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby aeroengineer1 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 3:38 pm

If you are looking to possibly upgrade I would recommend the Konica Minolta Dimage Z3, Z5, or I think that now there is a Z6. I have the Z3 (4 mega pixel) and it has 2 macro settings. I have gotten my lens as close as 1cm away and the pic is still focused. The other reason I bought the camera is that it has a 12 power optical zoom and there is an adapter ring that can be bought to add filters and even add more zoom. I sue it to take pictures of airplanes, and I can make a small cessna fill the window form a half mile away. The only issues that I have with the camera is that the low light performance is not stellar. This problem may have been done away with in the next models. It will also shoot continuous vids with a fast sd card at 30 fps. I think that if you go to ebay you can get one for about $250-$300 for the Z3

Adam
aeroengineer1

Postby Mylo » Tue Nov 01, 2005 7:35 pm

Adam,

Thanks for that input. I will keep it stored "upstairs" until I need it.

Myles.

A Bridge Too Far (1977)
Mylo

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:00 pm

Here's a camera that I'll be getting to add to my more "professional" digital Canon D30.......

It's one of the models of cameras made by HP and is called the HP Photosmart R817. The thing that makes this potentially very useful to us R/C sub types is that HP offers an underwater case as an option.

-Jeff

p.s. I do work for HP, but I am not associated with the imaging division in any way. :)
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Tue Nov 01, 2005 8:30 pm

Jeff,

Isn't anyone making a water proof camera anymore? Sony had one out a few years ago good to 5 ft. Shoots video too.

I'm in the market as dummy here got my good Sony wet and it no more. Gee I wonder how that happened! LOL!

Steve
U812

Postby TMSmalley » Tue Nov 01, 2005 9:04 pm

When all else fails read the instruction manual. :D

Find out what the miniumum (closest) focusing distance is and keep your camera to subject distance no closer than that. Then point your camera at something on your model (or that card) that you want the focus on and push the shutter button about half way down. That pre-focuses the lens. Then, keeping the button half way, take the card away and then push the button all the way down. That takes the photo.

If you need a closer (more macro shot) - just open the image you just took in a simple photo editing program and crop it closer. If your camera is 2MP or more, you can crop it 50% or better and it will still be sharp enough for internet posting.

Steve - here's a new 5MP underwater digital camera that looks pretty good. Image

See it at http://www.sealife-cameras.com/cameras/dc500.html

Edited By TMSmalley on 1130894541
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Next

Return to Static Modeler