Banner Ad 1

L.A. Flood Port Features - Need documentation of louver details.

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Diane Paterson » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:02 pm

??? Although I have a general idea of the construction of the louvers covering the Los Angeles flood ports, I only have a depiction of one of the forward ones on my Greg Sharp plans. As far as the rest are concerned, I'll have to exprapolate. I really need more information if I am going to reproduce these accurately at 1/120 scale. Any tips on how to make them would be greatly appreciated. I'm thinking that I may have to use soldered brass construction (Whew!!). Hope there's an easier way.
Diane Paterson

Postby SteveUK » Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:46 pm

Hello again Diane - we're both on LA's at the moment :;):

Are you talking about these..
http://navysite.de/ssn/ssn773_2.jpg
http://navysite.de/ssn/images/ssn755_2.jpg

I would cut the drill the holes out and then make a small jig of pins to string the grills with either very thin fuse wire and glue them to a small backing (cut just larger than the flood port openings) then glue this unit in behind the open flood port.

Hope I'm not barking up the wrong tree.

Of course if you were experienced with photo (acid) etching you could manufacture your own little grills out of thin brass sheet simply by transferring a printout of them.
"...Eeeexcellent..."
SteveUK

Postby Diane Paterson » Mon Oct 31, 2005 4:09 pm

:cool: Well, yes and no Steve. You see, I have quite a few pictures of these VLS limber holes. They are easily seen because they are above the waterline. My main interest are the much larger MBT flood ports located fore and aft on the underside of the hull. These have louvers too.

Edited By Diane Paterson on 1130789474
Diane Paterson

Postby Mkeatingss » Mon Oct 31, 2005 6:21 pm

Diane, I have drawings from the Quals Manual of a 637. Though the shape may be different, the layout should be similar. If you want a copy, email me at << mkeatingss@cox.net >>, and I'll send it.

Mike
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Return to Static Modeler