Banner Ad 1

Akula in 1/350 from Alanger - In box review

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Jul 19, 2005 12:16 pm

I've receive my "illegal" Alanger Models 1/350 Akula from a well known US vendor. Why illegal? beacause the box has a black tag saying that is illegal to sell this kit outside Russia, Bielorussia, etc.!!! (I don't want to reveal my source because his pacific front could be attacked by angry Russians law enforcement officers!! :D )

The parts have crisp details, the limber holes are not open but are fairly deep. Even the ballast tank openings are present on the lower hull!! The sail has all the hatches opened which is very nice!

I'm not very convinced by the shape of the dunce cap on the propeller and either by the water intakes (they are too thin iMHO)
The auxiliary propelers are a very nice addition that helps breaking the monotonous hull shape but the propellers blades are just flat.

The kit provides a nice decals sheet with markings for the newest and older name of the K-267 Drakon which is an improved Akula. From FAS.org:
"An additional Improved Akula I [K.267 Drakon] was launched in 1994 and delivered to the Russian Navy in 1995, though subsequently repossessed by the shipyard due to lack of payment. The boat reportedly remained in the possession of the Komsomolosk yard, which was said to be trying to sell her."

Here are some photos of the kit. If someone find errors or things to change in the model, please post them here!! Thanks

Box cover and sides:

Parts:

Sail.

Parts detail:

Decals:

IMHO is very nice model and the first accurate Akula in inyected plastic EVER!!
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Wayne Frey » Wed Jul 20, 2005 12:05 am

I like this kit!
I do see some inaccuarcys.But they do have a lot right.
I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw this kit advertised showing the fold out creeper motors. I put pictures of this in last year's Report on the Akula.
I would like to get one of their Delta IV kits.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:47 am

Wayne Frey wrote:I like this kit!
I do see some inaccuarcys.But they do have a lot right.
I almost fell out of my chair when I first saw this kit advertised showing the fold out creeper motors. I put pictures of this in last year's Report on the Akula.
I would like to get one of their Delta IV kits.

Wayne,
What inaccuracies do you spot?
I've found that the bow planes are prone to break very easily. I wonder why they made them fix?

What about the water intakes? I don't like their shape...
Also the torpedo hatches are raised surfaces not engraved.

I'm too waiting for their Delta IV and the Typhoon!! The Typhoon will be a beautifull kit IMHO based on the CAD images they have in their website.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Tom Dougherty » Wed Jul 20, 2005 10:44 pm

Looking at the kit (I got mine today from Fleetline-Thanks, Kevin!), you're right, the reactor water intake scoops are not long enough. Also, if you look at Wayne's article in the SCR (#57, pgs 42-45), you will note that the auxiliary propulsion motors on the pictured submarine are very different from the units on the model. The pods are attached to the deployment doors, and do not extend out on short rods, as in the kit. Also, the propeller looks as if it might be in a shroud, like a Kort nozzle. I think you are right, the propeller hub needs to be turned down a bit, and four anti-vortex fins added, as in Wayne's photos. Also, check out the chord on the movable part of the rudder compared to the fixed area. It looks as if the actual rudder may have more movable surface area (which can be corrected with some putty and rescribing). Overall, though, one of the better polystyrene kits I've seen in a while....
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Postby U812 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 1:06 am

Is this boat big enough for Dave Welch's 2 inch WTC I'm using in the Kilo?

Thanks guys,

Steve
U812

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:35 pm

Tom: I agree with your comments.
The propeller is too close to the hull. We will have to extent the "tail cone" a little bit. And yes, it's the best plastic kit in a looooong time (My favorite is still the Type 206 in 1/144 from Revell and, of course, the Type VII in 1/72)

Steve: my green cutting matt is in inches. I don't have the model with me right now but from my photos I guess that the internal diameter is about 1.5 inches and the cilyndrical zone is about 7.5 inches long. So I'm afraid it is not big enough for your 2" WTC
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby U812 » Thu Jul 21, 2005 3:38 pm

Well thanks just the same for the reply.

Steve
U812

Postby Tom Dougherty » Thu Jul 21, 2005 5:54 pm

I agree that the Akula probably is too small for the WTC. Maybe the Typhoon will work when it arrives.

This kit is very good for styrene, and a whole lot better than the DML (Dragon) kits in terms of accuracy. In all fairness, DML didn't have the drawings that are now available, and had to guess below the waterline. Maybe the Alanger folks threw us a few minor challenges to keep our scratchbuilding skills alive...
Tom Dougherty
Researcher for Project Azorian
Project Azorian Documentary: http://www.projectjennifer.at/
Project Azorian Book: http://www.usni.org/store/catalog-fall-2012/project-azorian
Tom Dougherty
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler