Banner Ad 1

Kursk Paint Scheme ?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Seawolf » Sat Apr 12, 2003 11:55 am

guys,
anybody know the 'real' Kursk - Oscar II paint scheme ?
At last I got the model of this boat from Zvezda.

And from the collected reference picture, I'm not sure what to be used as role color for painting.

1 have 2 pic showing lower hull sonar chin to be painted red (1 is a model pic, and 1 is a real pic).

1 picture showing lower hull was painted light gray.

The question is, what is the Kursk paint scheme ? I got another pic showing the lower hull sonar chin was painted Mettalic.

Your advice are highly appreciated - thanks in advance
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby AtomicTuna » Sun Apr 13, 2003 6:01 pm

Hi

I have posted answer for very similar question some time ago:

http://www.subcommittee.com/cgi-bin....sg=1851

After some research I ended up with something like this:

http://www.deepwatermodels.com/gallery/kursk/700/revell/improved/

By the way, Zvezda is planning to roll out new sub in April:
http://www.zvezda.org.ru/eng/models/pics/9010.jpg

May be it would be just repackaged kit of Kursk. I will let know as far as I get it.

Regards,

Boris
AtomicTuna

Postby Seawolf » Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:45 am

Hi, Boris, It's me Fiat (once ask u about Kilo Class :) )
Thank you for the reply - I remember once there was a discussion in the Subcommittee Board about Kursk - but alas I don't save the information and cannot link to the Board.

I think I will go with flat black and red (chin sonar dome), and one more thing, some picture of mine (real boat) shown the lower hull was painted light grey - is this the Kursk (at least same as Kursk flight boat) or this is the older class boat ? :)
Fiat - Jakarta (Indonesia)
sshhh.... rig ship for ultra silent..........
Seawolf

Postby Gerwalk » Sat Jun 18, 2005 4:06 pm

I know this is an old topic but I just bought the Zvezda Kursk in 1/350 and I'm not very sure about the color scheme of the Kursk.

I have several photos of her in dry dock (after being recovered from the bottom of the sea) and I'm not sure if the light brown grey color of the lower hull are due to fouling or the hull was painted that way.

I'm not very convinced by Boris red sonar chin scheme in his Revell Kursk model and neither by his alluminum painted sonar chin in his Zvezda Kursk! (Which one is correct Boris?)

Concerning the missile hatch details: there are two color photos showing this section of the boat. Seems like the internal surface of the hatches are painted black but there is some brownish color also .

The internal part of the launching tubes are painted red.

I'm not sure about the external color of the missiles dome hatch: in one pic they look metallic -sort of graphite colored-

BTW: the Zvezda model has just one fin/rudder at the stern lower hull instead of the correct two fins.

Does anyone can help?
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Wayne Frey » Sat Jun 18, 2005 6:25 pm

On my DVD of Russain Submarines, it shows an Oscar in drydock being commissioned. The lower was red. While it showed the tail end and center section well, it did not show the chin.
My source has more,but right now I have to finish rallying up some stuff for one of our vendors, more on the Akula II, Delta IV, and some more "good stuff" on the Alfa. Eventually, I will focus on the Oscar.
SCM #653
SubCommittee Vice President 2006-2008
Author-Russian Submarines, Guardians of the Motherland
Member-Saint Petersburg Russia Submarine Club
Wayne Frey
SubCommittee Member

Postby Dolphin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 7:27 pm

From my 'Intel' files. Self explanatory. Bottom image was a snap shot taken understandably proudly for this officer's new young wife/bride. Widow had since appeared several times just shortly after tragady on CNN....(widow's husband is officer posing on left in bottom image). Sadly, all seen in image were lost with their sub. My respects. Photo was discovered in a magizine article while someone was waiting for their appointment in their dentist's office waiting room.

This bottom photo is dedicated to our good old pals at 'Toshiba Machine.' ....." The imperialists are so hungry for profits that they will sell us the rope with which to hang themselves". V. Lenin.

Steve Reichmuth

Edited By Dolphin on 1119144649
Dolphin

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Jun 20, 2005 11:46 am

I already have those pics (except for the TV screen shot!) in my AMD files... :D

Thanks!
Let me analize the photos:
IMHO:
1) The lighter color in the lower hull in the first pic can't be just fouling since there is no indication of it in the region bellow the white water line stripe. What color is that then? A faded red? Gray?
The guys at Polar Bear Productions in Russia are selling this model and plans and as you can see they use a brownish red lower hull (Tamiya hull red is OK?) from bow to stern:(http://tok.severodvinsk.ru/subplans.htm)
ImageImage

2) Second photo: That is not the Kursk:

3) The props photo is amazing but it is too sad to know that all those guys are gone. My sympathies.

As for the missile hatch exterior color: this is a good photo. It looks like gloss black to me. But I'm not sure about the other colors inside the main hatches (light brown, washed black??)

I tend to believe what the Polar Bear Productions models show. Thus red brown lower hull seems to be the right way to go (and it is consistent with a weathered red hull color on the kursk in dry dock photos as well)
What do you think guys?
Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler