Banner Ad 1

New Static Kits from Yankee Modelworks - Tullibee & 688I

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby 84-1117671539 » Thu Jun 16, 2005 8:46 pm

I just received two new resin kit test shots from Yankee Modelworks. One is a model of the USS Tullibee, the pioneering US nuclear submarine that had many innovative features: the first with bow sonar and angled torpedo tubes, and the first nuclear submarine with turbo-electric drive. She was a prototype for a small nuclear hunter killer submarine (SSKN), and some of her features ended up in the Thresher and subsequent classes. The kit features a 1:350 scale resin, white metal and brass model of the Tullibee, a departure from the modern SSN design with a large turtleback.

Also new from Yankee is their updated 688I class kit. This improved version of the 688 kit features a ringed propeller, anhedrals and VLS tubes. Yankee now provides a ring for the propeller and a set of anhedrals. The VLS tubes are scribed in the correct configuration (unlike the Dragon kit in polystyrene). Builds into a very detailed and accurate version of the later 688s (USS San Juan and on). Again, this is a resin kit with white metal and brass photoetch parts.

I'll have photos and a complete review in the Sept. SCR. Thanks to John Sheridan of Yankee Modelworks for providing these review kits to me. Should be available shortly from Yankee. See the June issue of the SCR for other new Yankee releases coming soon, including a full line of Guppy fleet boat conversion models.

Tom

Edited By Tom Dougherty on 1118969432
84-1117671539

Postby TMSmalley » Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:18 am

I hope you static guys are going to try to make the SubRegatta. We would like to "kick it up a notch" in the number of competitors for the Static Sub award category. This includes diaramas too! A few years we have had kids take an award in this category so if the junior bubblehead in your house has built something, be sure to bring it along!

If some of you RC guys want to bring along a static model or two - be sure you enter the competition! Winners get a nice plaque plus the recognition of your fellow members and a mention (and your picture in the SCR!)
Tim Smalley
TMSmalley
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Fri Jun 17, 2005 11:17 am

Excellent news!
I was waiting for those Guppy conversions for a long time!

Thanks Tom!
Pablo
Gerwalk

Return to Static Modeler