Banner Ad 1

Type VIIb sail - Nautilus models: correct?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Apr 06, 2005 7:52 pm

Danke U-Kater!!

Excelent material!! The scale is 1/40 but the photos are detailed enough for improving the Nautilus CT.

This is sehr gut material indeed!!:
U-booten photos
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Jess » Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:48 pm

Yeah, I just saw these today. Unbelievable. Definitely great material to use. Would like to see a whole boat like that.

Thanks U-kater!

Jess
Jess

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:02 pm

Hi guys,

Dougie Martindale, who wrote an excellent site on U-boat colours sent me these images, they represent the U-52 ( :) ) in its pre-war and wartime carrier, I hope you can use these images to get a correct view of the VIIb boats. Notice the different conning-tower changes in the war, from no wintergarden to the VIIb sail with air intakes on the side of the boat (both sides of the tower?).

The boat full waterline at pre-war period. Notice the number and tower style

Perhaps same tower, I don't know if this is pre-war.

This is a really good view of the boat's later-type tower, yes I can see that Nautilus Models' tower has the air intakes a bit oversized.

Hope this helps.
280 meters.... and she's still in one piece!
-Jurgen Prochnow, Das Boot.

http://eisernwolf.blog.com
Captain Nemo12

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:10 pm

Thanks for sharing Captain! Yes the Nautilus models intake is not correct in size either in shape (I still think I wasted my money...)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Wed Apr 20, 2005 7:52 pm

Hum, you could always modify the tower by sanding down the side or modify the original kit's tower. Seems easy with all the photos on the net.

Captain Nemo12

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:46 pm

Captain Nemo12 wrote:Hum, you could always modify the tower by sanding down the side or modify the original kit's tower. Seems easy with all the photos on the net.

Yes, I know, I know... I'm so tired of correcting models and in this case it's gonna be correcting an aftermarket part that corrects a model...

Why model companies can't make "correct" submarine models?
My list of correct models is so short! (I mean: models without issues concernig shape, dimensions, and big details -I can accepts some mistakes in minor details!):
ICM Type XXIII (1/144)
Revell Type 206 (1/144)
Revell Type VIIC (1/72)

With some things to correct but not that far away from the real thing:
Maquette 1/400 Alfa
Maquette 1/400 Kilo

Forget about Trumpeter submarines, some require some work (Type 33), others more (Seawolf) and others are just impossible to correct (Kilo)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Captain Nemo12 » Fri Apr 22, 2005 10:39 am

Well, you've made a good point there, and it's not just submarines either. I've been modelling armor for the past year and every time I check out a model on a modelling magazine, the modeller usually says "I simply used aftermarket details bla bla..." I don't know why they don't make correct model parts, seems like if they can produce a model kit, they can surely make the model parts accurate.

Captain Nemo12

Postby Gerwalk » Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:40 pm

Captain Nemo12 wrote:Well, you've made a good point there, and it's not just submarines either. I've been modelling armor for the past year and every time I check out a model on a modelling magazine, the modeller usually says "I simply used aftermarket details bla bla..." I don't know why they don't make correct model parts, seems like if they can produce a model kit, they can surely make the model parts accurate.

My main interest in modeling was airplanes and Sci Fi models until I found the sub-world... Only recently model companies started to make correct airplane models (not so many I'm afraid) in which the aftermarket parts are just needed to add some extra details or the like not to correct the model itself.

I can justify wrong models in some cases as for example the old SSN models since most of the time they were guessing and using very limited information. But nowadays there is plenty of good information available and in some cases they model companies can access to the real subjects directly (museums, naval bases, etc.)

By the other side is always thrilling to find a way to correct a model...
Pablo
Gerwalk

Previous

Return to Static Modeler