Banner Ad 1

Type VIIb sail - Nautilus models: correct?

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Jess » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:30 am

Yeah, it's a shame that no one put out other versions of the CT for the VIIB.

Thanks for the positive comments on U-100.

Take Care,

Jess
Jess

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:21 pm

I've received the Nautilus Models CT for the VIIb. It is obviously based on the Revell CT and it even preserves its deffects!! The CT is too big and the air intake is also too big compared to the typ VIIb plans from Rössler's book and from some photos.

What do you think?
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Jess » Mon Mar 21, 2005 1:28 pm

I agree it is too big. I don't know about length but the width is definitely too wide. No one would be able to walk around it. My railings also bump up next to it, especially the air intake trunking. Also, the UZO and attack periscope housing are in the wrong places. And the base for the AA gun is way too thick. And... etc....It's like they didn't really try. Too bad..

Jess
Jess

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 3:28 pm

BTW: I like how the U-48 look like. Was she cammouflaged? In one pic I have she seems to have more than one grey on the hull sides, or is it just a decoloration and corrosion effect? (most of the light grey color is seen around the holes)
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Jess » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:39 pm

U-48 was not camouflaged. If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean the upper hull, where the flood holes are, is a lighter color than the lower hull, below the flood holes. That is pretty much standard wartime colors. The upper hull was, most of the time, a lighter grey than the lower hull. In U-48's case, her upper hull and CT were the color, Dunkelgrau 51, which is a dark gray. U-boat's lower hulls were a very dark blue-gray anti-foul paint called Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau.

Hope this helps.

Jess
Jess

Postby Gerwalk » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:09 pm

Jess wrote:U-48 was not camouflaged. If I'm understanding you correctly, you mean the upper hull, where the flood holes are, is a lighter color than the lower hull, below the flood holes. That is pretty much standard wartime colors. The upper hull was, most of the time, a lighter grey than the lower hull. In U-48's case, her upper hull and CT were the color, Dunkelgrau 51, which is a dark gray. U-boat's lower hulls were a very dark blue-gray anti-foul paint called Schiffsbodenfarbe III Grau.

Hope this helps.

Jess

Thanks. I'm well aware of the U-booten standard colors. My fault for not explaining myself correctly... :(

In one of the pictures I got from the U-48 returning from a patrol the grey surrounding the flood holes and in other areas is much lighter than what I understand is Dunkelgrau 51.

This picture shows in part (is very small) what I mean (it was posted before by captain nemo):

Look around the flood holes, is that oxide? Also the bow looks much darker than the rest of the upper hull, that's why I thought of some kind of cammo. Maybe is just oxide and salt and the effect of the water on the reflectivity of the paint.

Thanks for such an interesting discussion.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby Jess » Mon Mar 21, 2005 9:40 pm

That's a great looking picture. I see what you mean now. I would say that it's water. The 'white' looks like light reflecting off the 'wetness' of the hull. The 'dark' on the bow looks like water obscuring the boat.

When looking at photos, it's hard to see how light or dark something is because the camera tends to 'exaggerate' or sum up tones, especially when a dark tone lies next to a light tone. That boat could be dark gray, but because of the direct sunlight on it, and because it's surrounded by the ocean, which is dark, it could appear to be much lighter than it really is.

But, then again, it does look pretty light.

Take Care,

Jess
Jess

Postby JWLaRue » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:10 pm

Yup, it's a combination of wet hull and wear & tear from the long patrol.

The upper color of a wartime U-boat could be either Dunkelgrau 51 or Hellgrau 50...the Hellgrau looking a bit lighter in the existing black & white photos....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Tue Mar 22, 2005 1:41 pm

Yes, it can be that the wet surfaces reflects much more and so they look white in the photo. I have scanned the photo from Nowarra's U-boat Type VII book. I cut the image so you can see the details better.

Bow: there is a darker area in the bow, the lighter areas seem to follow a wake pattern, maybe they are just wet areas? Also look at the shading on the deck.

CT. Again, lighter areas could be just reflection. See the small air ventilation grill? The Nautilus models has this wrong too.

Last but not least, the stern. Again, there are some interesting shadings there:

PS: sorry for the moire pattern. I could not avoid it.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:15 pm

>>> See the small air ventilation grill? The Nautilus models has this wrong too.

Not necessarily true....

Is the conning tower said to be from a specific boat? (Then it could be wrong) However, since a number of different air intake configurations were tried on the VIIB's, the model tower could be correct for one of the variants. (I haven't seen it, so can't be sure)

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Gerwalk » Wed Mar 23, 2005 10:59 am

JWLaRue wrote:>>> See the small air ventilation grill? The Nautilus models has this wrong too.

Not necessarily true....

Is the conning tower said to be from a specific boat? (Then it could be wrong) However, since a number of different air intake configurations were tried on the VIIB's, the model tower could be correct for one of the variants. (I haven't seen it, so can't be sure)

-Jeff

Yes, you are right on this. I haven't seen all the air intakes in Type VIIb boats and maybe there is one that resembles this (Nautilus models CT):

My questioning arises from the fact that all the air intakes I've seen (including the famous U-48 and the plans in Rössler's book) show a smaller air intake.
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:33 pm

Ahhhh....I see.

Right location, wrong geometry/size. I guess it could be cut down to be more accurate.....

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Jess » Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:36 pm

Not just the CT either. The deck gun is way too big as well. I ended up using just the bottom of the gun in resin and the rest (except the barrell, I used Steve Nuttal's barrels) the kit's original.

Jess
Jess

Postby Gerwalk » Thu Mar 24, 2005 1:59 pm

So, seems like I wasted 20 bucks... I could maka a better job by kitbashin the original CT and guns... oh well, that's the life of a modeller...
Pablo
Gerwalk

Postby U-Kater » Wed Apr 06, 2005 6:54 pm

Hey guys,

Take a look at the site of Andreas Mock,

www.dream-arts.de

There you will find a perfect type VII-b CT

Kind regards
U-kater
SC-member: 2104.Momentarely trying to construct U-123 and U-805 with "Schnelltauchback", BASED UPON the SCALESHIPYARD hull of U-505
U-Kater

PreviousNext

Return to Static Modeler