Banner Ad 1

Type VII - Torpedo loading hatch

Static Submarine modelers unite!

Postby Mkeatingss » Tue Jan 04, 2005 11:16 am

Thia is in reguard to the Revell Type VII. Does any one know how the forward torpedo room, torpedo loading hatch open? Did it open down, laying parallel to the hull (like the American boats), or up, protruding above the deck?
Mike
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby JWLaRue » Tue Jan 04, 2005 1:30 pm

Mike,

...not quite sure that I understand the question......?

The forward torpedo deck hatches are hinged and opened by lifting them up.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Postby Mkeatingss » Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:19 pm

That answers the question. On the US boats they swung downward and lay on the hull. This had the advantage of placing the hatch under the torpedo loading equipment and less likely to get damaged if something slipped. Like the boys on the pier, or tender, dropping the fish.
However, in this case, the hatch must either stick out, above deck level, or swing open until it's laying on the loading trunk. About 270 degrees. Right?
Thanks, Jeff. That's what it looked like in the drawings I have, but I wanted to be sure. It also looks like it's, somehow, spring loaded. Which means it probably won't open more than about 90 degrees. Any thoughts there?
Mike
I don't suffer from ulcers, I'm a carrier.
Mkeatingss

Postby JWLaRue » Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:43 pm

Hi Mike,

Ahh....I see!

All but one of the (multiple) hatches on the deck used for torpedo loading open up, over, and then lay flat on the deck and are hinged on the side. The deck hatch that is actually directly over the pressure hull hatch (the actual torpdeo loading hatch) is linked to that pressure hatch so it usually opens only about 60 degrees. This deck hatch is also hinged at the forward edge.

-Jeff
Rohr 1.....Los!
JWLaRue
SubCommittee Member

Return to Static Modeler